Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Topic pretty much says it.

I was just curious to see what every one sets their scope (zoom/variable) at when shooting at 100 yards?

·
Registered
180 Posts
I've always had variable scopes = not sure why since I pretty much always keep them on max. Now I have leup 3x9- whether 50 or 500 yards i keep it on 9-maybe next scope i'll get fixed
doc

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
Shooting paper I always shoot at maximum power on the scope (9x, 12x, or 14x depending on what rifle I'm shooting). Hunting or shooting at a moving target is a different story and I adjust the power down to increase my sight picture accordingly. When trudging through the woods deer hunting I use the lowest power setting I have.

-matt

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I forgot to say what I put it on, I have a 3-9, and I use the 9x at a hundreds yards! I want to be able to zoom in much as possible to point a shoot at the same spot.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I shoot a 5-25 and I find that I usually shoot at about 10X or so for 100 and usually sit around 15X or so for 200 to 300 or so and then start eeking into the higher range for shots beyond that.

If anything is moving (I'm not all that good at these) but then I'll head down to about 7.5X. Any magnification lower than that doesn't increase the Field of View cause its FFP so I usually stick around there. Sometimes seeing things smaller by a bit helps and I'll dip down into the last 2.5X but thats not really all that often...

I find that I shoot tighter groups at lower mags on paper. Aim small / miss small.

·
Registered
46 Posts
5-6x. I shoot worse, not better, with higher magnification at that range. I think its a holdover from all my M1 shooting--I like having a broader sight picture for aim, rather than aiming at some small detail on the target. I'm not sure that is a good way of describing it, but that's the best I can come up with.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I like 22x on my NSX at 100 yards, but I also like shooting at the flies when they land on the target.

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
Depends what I'm doing at 100 yards. If shooting small targets or groups probably around 15x but if i'm shooting something from an unstable platform like barricade drills or positional it will go down to 10x.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm shooting a luepold 4.5 x14 and usually set it around 10x for 100yds. Helps me eliminate hearbeat, mirage etc... and makes me focus more for precesion shooting.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Out on the range I use 14X. When training, I use 4 1/2 to keep the widest FOV.

·
Premium Member
3,012 Posts
Fixed 24x Weaver Target scope on my .22

That extra power does make the picture dance with pulse and breathing, but that's why I use it - to hone those skills. I'd rather use open sights at 100 given the choice though.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a fixed 6 power on my 100 yard target rifle. I only use this for 100 and nothing longer. I find even that can be a bit too much if shooting in the standing or sitting position, probably a 4 would be better.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
In the woods I dial it down as far as it will go. When on the range up as far as it will go or until the mirage gets to be too much then down to where it's most usable.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I have a Leupold LR/T 8.5x25x50
For 100~200 yards, I set it on the lowest (8.5x) and feel very comfortatble and no mirage at all. Plus, I dont have to deal with the crosshair movement everytime my heart beats.
For 250~300, I set it on 10x or 12x.
For 350~400, I set it on 15x

I dial it up to 25x only when I need to see holes.

I m still practicing and learning how to shoot long range.

·
Premium Member
3,333 Posts
I do 99% of my shooting at 10X, unless I'm popping P-Dogs, then I go to 14X.

Rigger

1 - 17 of 17 Posts