Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking for a new small game rifle. right now i am using an old Remington .22 LR semi auto, but the problem is its my Dad's baby. Ive been using it to shoot racoons from my upstairs window and i never actually hunted small game with it out in the woods cause i dont want to mess it up. So my question is what is a good small game rifle?

i saw a thread on here not to long ago about looking for a cheap .22 but i couldnt find it in the search but ill look again. i figured i would post this if i still cant find the thread.

Marc

·
Premium Member
5,799 Posts
I like the .22 mag. I have several and I have killed all sorts of small game with it.

Depending on what you are shooting the .17 HMR is a nice round.

Getting into the bigger small game you have the .223 or maybe even the .22/250

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
im looking for a good rifle that will take down a squirl but not ruin the meet but yet can still take down a cyote

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
Anything that will consistantly take down a yote is gonna blow a squirrel to kingdom come. I reccomend a m700 varmint in .223 or .22-250.

dom

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok thanks... cause i think im gonna go out tomarrow and buy me a remmy 700 varmint 22-250 unless if they have a 223 then ill go with that so when it get my m4 it will save some time on getting ammo :D

(mods i posted a similar thread in the OT section feel free to delete it)

·
Premium Member
5,799 Posts
Marc said:
im looking for a good rifle that will take down a squirl but not ruin the meet but yet can still take down a cyote

That is difficult. You are talking about two totally different types of animals.

if you have a .22 like you say you do.....stick with that for the squirrel and used the .22/250 for the dogs.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ill go with the 22-250 or a 223. cause where i go hunting the squirls are huge they are about the size of racoons. next time i go down there ill grab a pic of one if i can hunt one down (to take a pic not kill)

the 22-250 sounds like it is a good all around gun. i personally have no experience with it

also i go hunting in Alabama for little dixie deer and wild hog. you think a 22-250 would be a good load to kill a hog? i spend most of my hunting time in Alabama and do small game and recreational shooting in Indiana

·
Registered
5,043 Posts
I'm for either the .223 or .22 250. I have some of each, and all are good performers on game up to coyote. .22 magnums are okay for wood chuck/prairie dog,but not so good pills for coyote.

Jeff

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
Bro, how many "I'm looking for X type of rifle... Waddaya think?" post do you make in a day?

This forum isn't only here for every odd question that pops into your head. Please scale it back a bit.

We get these questions over and over again. Once in awhile is okay but, two in a day? Pushing it.

-snowy

·
Premium Member
3,333 Posts
Marc said:
ill go with the 22-250 or a 223. cause where i go hunting the squirls are huge they are about the size of racoons.
You obviously have no clue what a 22-250 does to an animal that size. :roll: Let me try to explain, Have you ever heard the term VAPORIZE? That's what it does, literaly.

Rigger

·
Premium Member
5,799 Posts
Marc said:
ill go with the 22-250 or a 223. cause where i go hunting the squirls are huge they are about the size of racoons. next time i go down there ill grab a pic of one if i can hunt one down (to take a pic not kill)

the 22-250 sounds like it is a good all around gun. i personally have no experience with it

also i go hunting in Alabama for little dixie deer and wild hog. you think a 22-250 would be a good load to kill a hog? i spend most of my hunting time in Alabama and do small game and recreational shooting in Indiana
I am from Alabama and hunt my dads 250 acres there every year. I have seen some big fox squirrel, but never in my day have I seen any as big as racoons. I dont know what grows out there in Indiana but if you hit any of them with a 22-250 that lil rat is done for. I hit a few with a .22 mag and it was not pretty.

·
Registered
88 Posts
snowy said:
Bro, how many "I'm looking for X type of rifle... Waddaya think?" post do you make in a day?

This forum isn't only here for every odd question that pops into your head. Please scale it back a bit.

We get these questions over and over again. Once in awhile is okay but, two in a day? Pushing it.

-snowy
Hey,
Nothing for nothing but, maybe this should have been sent via PM?
I believe you may have a young man who is VERY eager and while I agree, he has only been a member for a month or so and already has something like 170 posts, he IS still getting replies...this "possibly" should have been sent PM.

Please do not take this out of context, I am not trying to tell you how to do your job...

Respectfully,
Jeff

·
Registered
317 Posts
I am surprised not one person has recommended a .22lr. I have never had a problem taking down coyote, ferral dogs & cats, squirrel, woodchuck, beavers, skunk, racoons etc. As with all hunting the key is shot placement, the .22 is more than capable of dropping any varmint within 100 yards with the correct load and good shot placement.

If you need to take shots in excess of 100 yards you need to start looking elsewhere. The .22mag will take you to 200 with enough gas to drop a dog, anything more you would be better served with a .223 or similar. The manufacturer you pick is up to you, there are plenty of reviews on all types of rimfire rifles out there so find what you like and take a trip to the gun shop.

Google is your friend,
-Eric

·
Premium Member
5,799 Posts
Emorse4487 said:
I am surprised not one person has recommended a .22lr. I have never had a problem taking down coyote, ferral dogs & cats, squirrel, woodchuck, beavers, skunk, racoons etc. As with all hunting the key is shot placement, the .22 is more than capable of dropping any varmint within 100 yards with the correct load and good shot placement.

If you need to take shots in excess of 100 yards you need to start looking elsewhere. The .22mag will take you to 200 with enough gas to drop a dog, anything more you would be better served with a .223 or similar. The manufacturer you pick is up to you, there are plenty of reviews on all types of rimfire rifles out there so find what you like and take a trip to the gun shop.

Google is your friend,

-Eric

No one said it because he said he already has one.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
For a coyote and other varmints, I like a .204 Ruger. Barrel life is great, it shoots fast and flat, more energy than a .223 with 40 gr. pills, and its cheap to shoot. Throw in the fact that recoil is similar to a .22 Magnum, you can then call your own shots on rodents.

I personally have managed numerous 500 yard plus kills on prairie dogs.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
whbonney26 said:
I have seen some big fox squirrel, but never in my day have I seen any as big as racoons.
You took the words right out of my mouth!

Marc, I wouldn't even consider going wild hog hunting with a .22-250! :shock:

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
You might be better off looking for a rifle which you can change calibers by switching barrels or something. Also maybe just consider a shotgun use bird shot for the small stuff and 3" magnums for the big game :lol:

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
have you guys seen that TC universal gun where it converts from a muzzle loader to a shotgun and to a rifle just by switching barrels? ive seen it on the outdoor channel but i cant find it anywhere.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Marc said:
have you guys seen that TC universal gun where it converts from a muzzle loader to a shotgun and to a rifle just by switching barrels? ive seen it on the outdoor channel but i cant find it anywhere.
For what one of those TC pro hunters cost you can get a remmy LTR. and then you got to spend $300 on every other barell you want. If you want one gun that can cleanly kill everything from squirells to deer and hogs, get a 12ga shot gun.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts