Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Yeah but shottys don't have a lot of range.

But combined with a rifle you have a good combo to hunt a lot of different animals.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
The Contenders you can do some wild stuff too thats actually the gun I was thinking about to post to you. Theres a nice one i wanted to buy in 45-70 but it sold before I came up with the dough. But those are very popular guns maybe just have a gunstore order you one.

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
Marc said:
you say 45-70 the pic of that round scares me!!!
:shock: Where in the world did you find that picture?! That is most certainly NOT what comes to mind when I think .45-70 . . .

FWIW I think of an old trapdoor springfield and cast lead bullets, big and slow at its finest.

-matt

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
i got on google and typed in 45-70 and that popped up. but i went out today and bought me a remmy 700v .223 and i got a remmy 700v .308 on order. but on the .308 i will put a McMillan stock on it and leave my .223 bone stock except for the scope.

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
Good choices, what are your plans for optics? I hope you have plenty of cash set aside for good glass. A good rifle is worthless without quality glass or a nice set of irons on it.

-matt

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
i really want the m40a1 but i also like the A5...as for a scope im gonna try out my schonfeld scope its a 9-18x50

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
my funds are about ran to their max. the rest of my money is for fuel to actually get to the range to shoot and ammo and FOOD. so it will be a while till i can get the stocks unless i can get my g/f to buy me one.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Marc said:
unless i can get my g/f to buy me one.
Don't waste your time.

·
Registered
69 Posts
22-250 or 17hmr for longer ranges

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
I have a TC that you can interchange barrels. The problem with Tompson Centers setup is that If you shoot with scopes you need to swap the scope as well and rezero. The scopes are mounted on top of the barrels. I ended up getting 3 barrels and three scopes. 243, 300WM, and 50cal inline muzzle loader. Not the best way to go if you want a cost effective solution.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
I would think something like a 243 for deer & yotes and keep the .22lr for the really little stuff. .243 does a job on deer and I've even seen them used on black bear in Canada. The other way to go for both small and larger game as a 12GA as mentioned previously. You can get good deals on used ones and if $ is really tight, you can get a single shot for almost nothing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Contender can't handle .243 Win
but 6TCU based on 223 brass is fine
250 Savage must be handloaded to use in contender also.
Here's a hoot to shoot ... 45-70 with Big shot grip

21 - 40 of 40 Posts