·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i know its a sniper site but snipers carry assault rifles
i know spotters are usually armed with them
whats the best assault rifle then?
im saying the M-16 cause im a die hard AR-15 fan
im used to the AR-15 design and am more proficient with them then any other assault rifles

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I think I would have to say the Beretta AR70/90 for its internals... but the rifle I would like to be issued is the AKS-47.

I like the Beretta internals, because it has its recoil spring around the long stroke gas piston, instead of having a short stroke gas piston, and seperate recoil rod assembley as on most AR's.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I dont care how old it ever gets i want my M1 GARANDE KICK ASS! I the 30-06 round no matter what now if the made an XM29 in 30-06 that would be a mother of a gun OOORAH!

R.M.

·
Registered
187 Posts
If politics weren't in the way. I think the best assault rifle would be an XM8 chambered in 6.8 SPC. That would be a very good assault rifle. But I voted for the M14 because it's a classic that isn't going to die. Where ever the US military goes into a major combat someone is bound to have a tricked out M14 (Navy SEALs have a couple of them).

The XM29 in .30-06 would be a little clumsy, I would think. That would be a very long action to take that bullet. But didn't the US military drop that project? I thought they did.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Zaitsev:
the M1 Garand was the finest weapon of its day but its days are over now
.30-06 is a heavy recoiling round and not as well suited as .223 to .308 range for repeated accurate fire at a rapid pace
.308 is pushing it for some soldiers actually
hit probability decreaces with a .30-06 and ammo you can carry decreaces
besdies that 8 round magazine doesnt cut it
even our snipers use the .308 which is less than the .30-06 by a good ammount
the .308 has plenty of knockdown power for any range an infantryman could hit a human sized target with iron sights
and .223 is lethal enough at most combat ranges out of an M-16 there would be no reason to use a .30-06 for anythin gother than sniping in some cases and hunting where its one of the most versatile cartridges for game on this continent :)

6.8mm would be an ideal caliber for the XM8

·
Registered
91 Posts
Jeff,

The m1 WILL NEVER DIE. it was the first semi auto rifle so everything after it is its pretosescor(sp) i do believe. the .223 is a darned varmit cal. and the 6.8 is a heck of a bullet but just not a 7.62x53.

R.M.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Zaitsev:

True, the M1 will never die. But I can not think of any modern military that still uses the M1. The closest thing that is used today, to the M1, is the M14.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Zaitsev:
the M1 Garnad is a legend but everything it can do the M14 does better

its magazine capacity is only 8 rounds, its not a detachable magazine
accuracy is not as good as the M14, its heavier but it kicks more since its a .30-06
there is no reason for a 7.62*63mm cartridge in a rifle using iron sights against personell (grizzlies and other big game is a diffent matter but lets not go there)
.223 is more lethal than .30-06 ball ammo at 100-200y where it fragments... 200y is twice the average combat engaguement range of infantry now
also you can recover and get another shot off quicker with a .223 or even with a .308
6.8mm SPC is even more lethal than the .223 in its modern loads..
giving soldiers the M1 Garand even if they made 7.62*63mm fragment would still handicap the soldier by making them carry aheaiver gun thats harder to control while limiting the ammo tehy can carry (8 round mags)
therefore the average soldier would hit less an dhave less rounds to shoot

·
Registered
344 Posts
By definition, an assault rifle is an automatic weapon that fires an intermediate cartridge. It is designed to give the user the lethality of a machinegun in a more portable and controllable packadge. This disqualifys (sp) the M1 Garand, which could be better defined as a Battle Rifle. Some consider the M14 to be an assault rifle, I personally do not, since the 308 cartridge leaves something to be desired in the aspect of controllability.

My vote goes to the M16 design. It's lightweight, controllable, and offers the user a host of possible upgrades. The only two problems I have with the design are the caliber and the gas system, both of which have been fixed by various manufacturers.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well varminter shoots through the same hole all day long :) and i mean all day long... provided no serious wind and thats a .224" hole not a .30" hole from a .308, .30-06 or .300 WM :)
would be suprised at 100y if the sharpshooter varient of the XM8 would out shoot my M4 Carbine can put 10 shots into 3/4" as long sa theres no wind :)

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
I agree with everyone who advocated 6.8 Remington SPC, from everything i have read about it, its a great round, and even gun writers are able to shoot nice groups with it lol. Another cool thing is that was invented by troops.

The only place I think .223 is lacking is shooting through things. Especially today like...Cars, cement, buildings and crap like that.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well its barrier penetration is far inferior to that of the 7.62*51mm and even less than the 7.62*39mm that is one of its weaknesses compared to the AK-47 rounds
gun writers are usually able to shoot 1 moa gropus with about any rifle they pick up
6.8 SPC isnt made to be a match round more a manstopper and that role it should fill while being light recoiling enough to be controllalble in rapid fire something the average soldier and .308 dont do

·
Registered
314 Posts
well i voted for the g36... im a real AR fan when special forces are conserned, but the G36 is much more modular.... theres no need for a scope as one is already mounted on the carrying handle... remove the forearm and the bbl, slap on a shorter bbl and forearm and u got urself a carbine.... keep the full size, add a bipod and a BetaC mag and it turns into a Saw. ive read reports of the gun firing 50000 rnds without cleaning. my only gripe... its almost ALL plastic!

since i cant put 2 options.... i got another fav assult rifle.... the FN 2000. fully modular, compact, and supposedly accurate.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Max:
the G36 is a fine rifle the reason i voted M-16 is cause the AR-15 design is what i am used to and most proficient with
ive herd reports 18,000 rounds without a malfunction
i couldnt say that about my M4 Carbine only because i havnt fired 18,000 rounds through it yet
c mags hold 100 rounds, they make the same types of mags for an AR but they are expensive... i believe $450... im not wililng to spend that for a damn C mag when i have bought 15 30 round USGI Teflon coated mags from Labelle Industries for that same price and thats 450 rounds
or English SA-80 mags which are not bad mags... i could get 5 of them for like $79

·
Registered
314 Posts
as i own no "assult weapons" or any weapon for that matter, i can only judge from what i read and from what i see.... ur correct on that one it was 18000rnds because the Armys trials only go up to 18000heh

as for the F2000, does anyone know anything about this rifle? all i know is that it has a special mechanism where the spent cases are ejected through a long tube down toward the muzzle... would make a good way to get rid of flying brass..but i have no clue how reliable it is.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
H&K claims that reliablility wont be hurt if you dont go 20,000 rounds without cleaning i couldnt imagine how hard it would be to clean after 20,000 rounds
i dont know about that i would clean it after every session though
i wonder how this light weight polymer stuff is dourability wise

·
Registered
344 Posts
the G36 is much more modular.... theres no need for a scope as one is already mounted on the carrying handle... remove the forearm and the bbl, slap on a shorter bbl and forearm and u got urself a carbine.... keep the full size, add a bipod and a BetaC mag and it turns into a Saw. ive read reports of the gun firing 50000 rnds without cleaning. my only gripe... its almost ALL plastic!
Are you sure you're not talking about the XM8? I know the XM8 is all that but I've never heard of those modularity features on a G36. Maybe I just havn't read enough :p !

·
Registered
314 Posts
the XM8 and the G36 are identical from a reciever and bbl standpoint... the only differences are the handguard (with permanent carrying handle) and the buttstock that retracts instead of folding. other than that there the same

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
dont see if the Army wants to abandon the M-16 for a newer rifle why dont they go with the proven G36 instead of developing something that might turn out to be all hype???

·
Registered
314 Posts
nowadays in LA i feel safe in knowing that there are Police Officers out there that in fact carry..... M16s
i think it was LA Sherrifs or someting who after the 1997 BofA shootout that they started to carry M16s in the back of suburbans

1 - 20 of 126 Posts