Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need help in identifying the rifle used in Joe Kidd when Eastwood picks off the henchman on the rocks at the end. The guy is way up on the rocks, about a 1000 yds away, and the gun has one hell of a kick...

Some guy in another fourm says it is a 1905 Canadian Ross but I thought someone here might have a second opinion...

It's a single shot with a straight back bolt action...

Thanks for any help or leads...

-Eastwood Fan

·
Registered
150 Posts
You gotta ask yourself just one question.....do you feel lucky.......well do ya .............PUNK....hahaha im sorry i coudlnt resist...and as for that rifle..in caliber wise looks somthing like a .308...cant tell ya what kind of gun exactly but spade or mel sure the hell can

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
i cant really tell; i would need better side pics of its action (mainly the left side)... but i had winchester 70 pop into my head when i saw the Unertl style scope on it... but im not so sure. It would definitly be a pre WW2 rifle with how long the barrel looks. Not many rifles in "standard" rifle calibers (under 50BMG and things like that) had over 24 inch barrels after the 40's (that i know of). Since im bored ill do a little bit of research on the movie and maybe i can find out...

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
The front sight and barrel contour on the rifle in the pictures you posted is different than that of the 1905 Canadian Ross. Still have no clue what it is... the pics arnt very crisp... so its hard to tell what the rear left side of the reciever looks like. It kinda looks like there is a bolt release but i cant tell...

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
I'm tempted to say an older Ross with all the improvements, maybe 1910...but it looks like the bolt is bent though

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Some one had posted this over on the Eastwood Webboard:

Joe's mystery rifle used in the sniper duel sequence with Mingo, is a Ross rifle sporter/special take-down model M-10 (1910) in .280 Ross caliber with 26" barrel. That Ross cartridge was essentially a 7mm Rem. mag 60 years earlier. The rifle features a straight pull bolt action and is fitted with what appears to be a Winchester A-5 or B-5 scope (C:1909) of 5x power with micrometer mounts.

-So, a few years old I know but interesting never the less...

Eastwood Fan

·
Premium Member
5,799 Posts
Rifle is a Canadian Ross, probably a 1905 sporter. These have a magazine cut-off similar to the Springfield, are straight pull, and have a bolt handle that is "P" shaped (inverted) with a ring for the bolt handle knob. If you want to see a military version, go here: www.angelfire.com/nh/milarm/ross05.html, or for a 1910 which shows the cut-off lever. go here: www.geocities.com/Yosemite/2069/r10.html

There have obviously been several modifications to the movie gun, notably the take-down feature at the wrist.

The Ross rifles are usually .303 British, and have a military style stepped pattern to the barrel contour.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts