Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
with so many rifle platforms and calibers to choose from if you could build your perfect survival rifle what would it be?
what caliber would it be?

my ''could be'' perfect rifle would be galail/kalish. semi-sporter configuration ( not full military ) all stainless steel , chambered in 3006.....3, 5rd mags and able to except 20rd mags of BAR desighn..... and a better custom side rail and optics mount than the russian/east block pattern..........

·
Registered
4 Posts
with so many rifle platforms and calibers to choose from if you could build your perfect survival rifle what would it be?

my ''could be'' perfect rifle would be galail/kalish. semi-sporter configuration ( not full military ) all stainless steel , chambered in 3006.....3, 5rd mags and able to except 20rd mags of BAR desighn..... and a better custom side rail and optics mount than the russian/east block pattern..........
When you say, "survival", what kind of things are you thinking and what part of the country?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Great question, but depends. Are you bugging out for a few days, or off in the mountains?
Many say a 22, but i think it lacks any real protection. A SS Ruger with a Magpul backpacker stock is compact.
In addition a Browning 81 that breaks down would be great, but tuff to find now.
Cant remember the manf, but theres a SS 410, 22 combo avail.
I guess it really comes down to, are you looking to hunt, or looking for protection. Given a choice, i would go for a Browning 81 breakdown if you can find one

·
Registered
1 Posts

6.5 PRC has a lot of useful characteristics for only one gun. Accurate, high bc ammunition, up to 1,100 yards terminal velocity. I don’t own one!

·
Registered
8 Posts
SKS for me.
simple, 20” barrel, great rnd for defense out to 400 yds or 10’. Ammo not as heavy as 30-06(my personal fave) and big enough to hunt with.

·
Registered
10 Posts
As DCAN said, what kind of things are you thinking and what part of the country? To which I'd add, what time of year would have a important consideration also. Especially right now with the fridged temps we're having now.
As for me, I have several possibilities, several AR platforms, Pre 64 model 70 Target 30/06, model 70 Sporter Varmint in 243 , .22 Ruger American Varmint. But I really think my #1 go to gun would be my Ruger Gunsite scout in .308 win.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am new to this forum, I read some of the posts, however have never written a reply. I am not too sure about how this will fly here, however my first thought was a Remington 870 shotgun with a 20 inch smooth bore slug barrel with iron sights, with an integral scope mount and a low power scope. The smooth bore is to be able to shoot buckshot with the modified choke on the Remington slug barrel, something a paradox barrel will not do well. The integral scope base so the scope can be mounted or removed without losing zero. I like Weaver rings and bases for this; cheap but effective. Out to 100 yards the 1 oz slug is deadly, can use #4 buckshot (or any buckshot) for self defense, and regular shotgun shells for small game hunting. Out to 100 yards this set up will take anything from two-legged predators, bears to rabbits effectively. If I were stuck in a survival situation this is the setup that I would prefer to have over any set up out there. Can this be considered a rifle.................??? For me this is what comes to mind for a survival weapon in a survival situation; very versatile and very effective.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The situation surrounding the definition of survival would dictate the best rifle. Bug in, bug out, defense against zombies, hunting, availability of ammo, short versus long term, and on and on. Assuming were talking about survival away from home, something like the LMT MARS-L survival carbine would be pretty handy with interchangeable barrels and 5.56, 6.8 SPC and .22 LR calibers. Two out of three of these calibers are readily available in the wild, and all three are light enough to carry a modest round count. 6.8 SPC would be adequate for medium game and effective against zombies beyond 500 yards. But, this is probably cheating, so I would probably just curl up in the corner and cry hoping someone would take care of me.

·
Registered
15 Posts
SKS and/or 20" Mossberg 500.
SKS. Rugged, reliable. Easy to clean and maintain.
Mossberg. Slug, buck, bird. Effective to 100 yards, that's inside my fence line.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
885 Posts
A simple AR15 will do the trick.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The SKS is an excellent rifle for me. I prefer the Yugo variant since I
can turn off the gas and use it as a straight pull bolt gun. Can also use the
integral bayonet as a make shift monopod. it is easy to field strip and
is very rugged since the Yugo was also designed to fire
those grenades. My Yugo is accurate out to 200 yards or so with it's
iron sights. You can find top covers with an attached scope
base if you are so inclined to mount a scope on your SKS.
I have seen these guns hit 12" steel targets at 500 yards without issue.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts