Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 20 of 361 Posts

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the same "range" I scouted out and set up for myself last year. It weathered the winter pretty well. I dumped a load of chips to make a flat spot to fire from, and hiked some steel targets out into the clear cut. I don't really know what the distances are yet, but I figure 100yds, 250 yds, 350 yds.

Here's a view from the bench. The red circles are the approximate locations of the targets. I shoot a .223 and an '06 at the plate aluminum and plate steel targets. The .223 makes a perceptible clank when they hit, but the HPBT bullets barely leave a mark. The '06 hits with a definite clank, and the 180 gr SPBT leaves a thumb sized dent 3/8" deep in a 1/2" piece of steel I-beam. I like the metal targets because I don't have a spotter, and the sound lets me know if I hit the target even if I can't see it.

Here is the bench that I built from a single sawhorse. It was free, and it's very portable, even if it doesn't fold. Also pictured is my customised plastic lawn chair. Don't even think of trying to steal my designs, they're patented :lol:
I got all frisky and heated that '06 up pretty hot today. I can't wait to build it with a heavier barrel and nicer stock. I've gotta say, those Bushnell 10x scopes are treating me right, too.

When I bought my Varminter last month, I went to a gun show and purchased a Condor "drag bag" for $90. I could've saved money buy purchasing online, but I am very happy with it. It holds both my bolt action rifles, my spotting scope and tripod, my little tool kit for the rifles, my target book, note book, staple gun, bipod, pens and pencils, and plenty of ear plugs. The back has concealed backpack straps that are surprisingly well designed, and the zippers seem to be nice and heavy. It had fastex buckles to hold stuff in all the pockets, but I cut those out, as well as the trumpet shaped "nose protector" that was on the muzzle end of the bag. I could lug all that stuff quite a ways in reasonable comfort with this bag.

This is a view of the valley on the other side of the ridge behind my bench. As you can see, I have a lot of options for shooting and setting up targets. I wish one of you dudes lived around here, it'd be nice to have somebody to shoot with... but I'll make due on my own :cry:

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Trees? What are those?

Tucson Rifle Club

A friend's spot

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Man, those shots from Az are great! I'd have to drive quite a ways to find anyplace that flat and unimpeded to shoot.

I remember seeing your pics, LandCB. It looked very similiar to here... I gotta get a few things dialed before I start setting up eggs, though.

Do you guys know how to take a picture through the scope?

·
Registered
5,821 Posts
stiffler said:
Man, those shots from Az are great! I'd have to drive quite a ways to find anyplace that flat and unimpeded to shoot.

I remember seeing your pics, LandCB. It looked very similiar to here... I gotta get a few things dialed before I start setting up eggs, though.

Do you guys know how to take a picture through the scope?
Where are you located Stiffler?

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
on the central Oregon Coast. I am pretty close to the mouth of the Alsea River. Where are you at in Ohio? I have only been to Columbus and Cincinatti...

·
Registered
5,821 Posts
stiffler said:
on the central Oregon Coast. I am pretty close to the mouth of the Alsea River. Where are you at in Ohio? I have only been to Columbus and Cincinatti...
I'm 20 miles north of Columbus in Delaware.

·
Registered
5,821 Posts
"You ever shoot at NASR oneeyedmac?"

Oh yeah, been there several times. In fact I have a card from them in my wallet. There merchandise is priced to look at though and the Powder Room in Powell is a much less expensive indoor pistol range. The state park near my home has a 100 yard outdoor range and a 25 yd pistol range. My club, the Meeker Sportsman Club has a 200 yard range and they are working on a 400 yard range.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
oneeyedmac said:
"You ever shoot at NASR oneeyedmac?"

Oh yeah, been there several times. In fact I have a card from them in my wallet. There merchandise is priced to look at though and the Powder Room in Powell is a much less expensive indoor pistol range. The state park near my home has a 100 yard outdoor range and a 25 yd pistol range. My club, the Meeker Sportsman Club has a 200 yard range and they are working on a 400 yard range.
I used to teach CCW and Basic Handgun at NASR, and used to help out cleaning the rental guns and other odd jobs. If you go there again say British Pete says Hi :) Sounds neat about the 400yd range, I never got to shoot up Delaware way, infact I never got to shoot anywhere outside of Franklin.

·
Registered
5,821 Posts
NASR has a first class facility, I was going to do my CCW class there but ended up taking it in mechanicsburg for $60. Were you studying at Ohio State or something?

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
oneeyedmac said:
NASR has a first class facility, I was going to do my CCW class there but ended up taking it in mechanicsburg for $60. Were you studying at Ohio State or something?
Nah I wasn't a student there, I went over there for a girl but it didn't work out :lol:

·
Registered
200 Posts
Holy crap ... where's civilization? hah. Nice picture though ... feel's ... lonely.

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
the m700 project said:
Hey mel you got any extra bedrooms?
Heh, nope...

But, anyone who wants, I want to do an informal get together this summer, and I would be happy to take people up to this spot.

I'm thinking mid july for those interested

MEL

·
Registered
5,821 Posts
Keep us posted on this. Mid July is when my family is going on vacation, maybe I can talk my wife into going to Montana instead of her mother's.

What airport would one fly into?

1 - 20 of 361 Posts