Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Bill, how many .338 Lapuas have you owned? If you haven't owned one, how could you talk about first hand experience?

Further, how could you talk about barrel life mattering if you haven't ever worn out a barrel? I'll bet Mike has worn out more than you and I combined.

You're yet to say anything that, by first hand experience, means the Weatherby is superior. Let's hear it. You've got going for you brass that is almost as good, 16 gr more powder, 50ish fps more, significantly more pressure, and more availability in your area.

I'll admit, I've never been to a gunshop with .338-.378 ammo in stock.

If you are suggesting availability as the key factor, why not a .338 RUM? 16 gr less powder than the .338-378, and virtually the same velocity, no belt, and its available dang near everywhere? How many .338 RUMs have you had?

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Good point on first hand shooting, I have shot out 4 30-378 barrels with in a 2500 rounds 2 338-378 with in 2000 rounds i have built 4 338LM only shot about 40 rounds threw each one for break in and functioning. I know the round count on the one is upwards of 3000. It must be a Montana thing but you can find ammo for the 30-378,338-378, and the 338Lm at the local sporting good store. Brass life i get 10 loadings out of the 30-378, 12 to 14 out of the 338-378 being more cause i'm not loading as hot. A factory barrel on a weatherby will burn out very quick with hotter loads. Most likely you will be putting a high end barrel on your 338LM. Ago for the Rums is off the shelf ammo, cheaper, and almost the same side by side everythign with the weatherbys. I'm a huge fan of the weatherbys but the 338Lm has them beat for brass life and performance in the field, i hate to say it but they do.

Thats my 1cent worth.

Thanks Tom

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
MikeMiller said:
Tyler, I once wrote an article and called the 338 Ultra the poor mans Lapua. **** good caliber. Lots of bang for buck. Originally I could not get same velocoties with RUM but later with some different powders it came out so close its a toss up.
I've considered one over and over again for a sporter type rifle. Some day, maybe I shall own one!

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
MikeMiller said:
Bill, please I dont know you and you dont know me so you might want to pull in the claws. Talking down to me after a few days here seems out of line.
It IS out of line.

Bill,
Mike Miller is a very well-known member of the sniping community, and deserves to be treated with a good bit more respect than you've shown him here so far.
By all means, feel free to voice your opinion. But do so with more respect.

·
Registered
688 Posts
MikeMiller said:
Tyler, I once wrote an article and called the 338 Ultra the poor mans Lapua. **** good caliber. Lots of bang for buck. Originally I could not get same velocoties with RUM but later with some different powders it came out so close its a toss up.
Mike:

Is that article still available?

For all to see, my PGWDTI Timberwolf in .338LM. As of this time I have exactly 257 rds downrange.

It's the new intermediate sniper rifle for the Canadian Army called the C14. It's also on trials with the US military.

·
Registered
945 Posts
http://www.snipercountry.com/InReviews/ ... sLapua.asp

There it is. Now if you go with RL25 for powder you can pretty well match even the 300 grain Lapua loads, but accuracy with 300s was not as good in the Ultra loaded to amg length as it was in Lapua. If you single and long load the rounds you can get some pretty impressive results from the Ultra and for that matter the Lapua also.

Lonewolf, thanks for kind words.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Mike,

Thanks for the above link to your article. I didn't realize that was you. I also read your article on the H.S. Precision Vertical Grip Stock from 22 March 1999 on that same website.

http://www.snipercountry.com/InReviews/HSVertical.asp

I was just curious if you still stand by your original decision that the H.S. Precision Vertical Grip Stock "is the finest stock [you] have ever used!" Your article was written quite a while ago and I was just wondering if you have since then found anything better.

That summary article was a very helpful factor in my decision to buy a Savage 10FCP - because it came with a HS Precision stock.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Thanks for the link Mike.

A very nice writeup.

FWIW the Lapua brass will now cost you about $2800/M.

250gr Scenars or LockBase are $67/100

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Dang things are expensive in Canada.

Bruno's has Lapua 338LM brass in stock for $1.89 each $189/100.

Powder Valley has it in stock for $199/100, $952/500, and $1,841/1,000.

JeffVN

·
Registered
688 Posts
MikeMiller said:
Wow, things have gone up.

Those articles are getting pretty old but some of the stuff is still valid
Yes Mike, everything in the article is valid except the prices.

I found it infromative.

[quote = Dang things are expensive in Canada.

Bruno's has Lapua 338LM brass in stock for $1.89 each $189/100.

Powder Valley has it in stock for $199/100, $952/500, and $1,841/1,000.

JeffVN
Jeff:

My prices are from the Canadian Distributor - Hirsch Precision, owned by Peter Dobson.

I wouldn't bother trying to bring stuff in from the US, a PITA, plus shipping's a killer and if sent by UPS I get raped on brokerage fees - no wine, no kiss just screwed.

·
Registered
770 Posts
On the off chance anybody is researching a .338-378 Weatherby and comes across this thread, here is some down-home input:

I got to shoot a 338-378 Weatherby this weekend, it was a fellow shooters rifle. The rifle was a Weatherby action, composite stock, with a custom barrel (I don't know the maker) and a Horus Raptor scope. We chrony'ed the loads at the range, and it shot an avg of 3140 fps. we then drove up in the hills and set paper targets at 750yds and 950yds. The fellow who owned the rifle had one of those wrist-watch ballistics programs and a kestrel, we fed it the data, and shot prone from a bipod with a sock under the butt.
I was pretty apprehensive to shoot after hearing about the ferocious recoil from .338's. The barrel had a muzzle brake, and I would say it weighed under 10lbs.
I was pleased to shoot three shot groups under moa at both distances, and I did not find the recoil to be any worse than my .308. The thing was incredibly loud and kicked up a huge cloud of dust and dirt, but other than that it was very pleasant to shoot.
End analysis from the untrained & unwashed (me): Love to shoot it, wouldn't want to pay for it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Mike, did you also shoot the 378 or did you mainly shoot the 338-378?
The rifle was a Weatherby action, composite stock, with a custom barrel (I don't know the maker) and a Horus Raptor scope. We chrony'ed the loads at the range, and it shot an avg of 3140 fps. we then drove up in the hills and set paper targets at 750yds and 950yds.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts