Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I think the title is clear. I am woundering (for a long time) why so few sniper rifles are silenced.
It's maybe a noobish question, but I'm new to this.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I would say that most sniper rifles are not silenced for one main reason: For a silencer to be most effective, the bullet velocity needs to be sub-sonic. Since most sniper targets are past a range where sub-sonic ammo works effectively, they just don't bother to use silencers.

John

·
Registered
347 Posts
I know some situations would be different. But if you, as a sniper does your job efficiently...then you wouldn't have to worry about sound because your bullet hit your target before he heard anything. (that is assuming there is one subject, and a person is indeed what you are shooting)

-Brian Shields

·
Registered
365 Posts
If I was a Scout/Sniper my #1 reason would be it adds unneeded length.

I have no idea how it would effect internal and external ballistics? Would it?

From whatI undertand silencers also are flash suppressors right? If I had to add a few inches to my rifle it would be to keep the muzzle flash down quite a bit.

·
Registered
365 Posts
dead_I_5_0 said:
...then you wouldn't have to worry about sound because your bullet hit your target before he heard anything.
-Brian Shields
That depends on the distance from the shooter to the target. "He was down before we heard the shot" indicates the shooter is close but I don't know the yards. Also depends on the rifle and maby weather conditions. I could be wrong but this is my understanding.

·
Registered
524 Posts
!

For 1 reason its one less thing to go wrong......cause we all know Murphy has it in for us.

Depending on the barrel/Supressor combo you can have a huge bullet shift on your zero and the bullet shift can change as the supressor begins to wear out. The muzzle crown on sniper rifles is so important to making sure your bullet leave the barrel good and stable and most supressors can not duplicate that.

Bottom line is anything that can effect where you bullet goes and is not a necessity is best left off.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
jc71corvette said:
That depends on the distance from the shooter to the target. "He was down before we heard the shot" indicates the shooter is close but I don't know the yards. Also depends on the rifle and maby weather conditions. I could be wrong but this is my understanding.
Not to get sidetracked, but... It is totally dependent on the bullet velocity and the rate at which the bullet loses velocity. The amount of time between the shot hits the target, and the time the report is heard, is continually increasing up until the bullet drops down to the speed of sound (+/-340 m/s depending on altitude/temperature). If the bullet hits the target at the exact time that it's velocity drops down to the speed of sound, then you will have the absolutely longest possible delay between hearing the report and the target being hit. After this point the sound is "catching up" to the bullet, so the time between report and target hit is decreasing. It is possible to hear the report before the target is hit, but you would basicallyy be shooting at some crazy high arc that would make for an impossible shot. Think of shooting staright up in the air and waiting for the bullet to come back down on your head. This is an extreme, but it is an example of the general idea.

I don't know if this cleared things up, or made it worse. But whatever the case, it gave me a few minutes to not be doing the work I should have been doing

Recoil: I'm there to cover ya!
Your recipricating coverage may take more time though....

John

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thx for the answers!
And in the case of (for example) the movie "sniper"(the first one), there was a pretty big open field(=less cover and easy to spot/guess where the sniper is), with a bunch of guy's defending the targets. In real life, wouldn't they use a silencer in that case? Or perhaps another method to take out the 2 targets?(because this didn't seem quite efficient to me)

·
Registered
524 Posts
gamer1 said:
Thx for the answers!
And in the case of (for example) the movie "sniper"(the first one), there was a pretty big open field(=less cover and easy to spot/guess where the sniper is), with a bunch of guy's defending the targets. In real life, wouldn't they use a silencer in that case? Or perhaps another method to take out the 2 targets?(because this didn't seem quite efficient to me)
Try not to base realism off of movies.....why they felt the need to get under 100 yards to the target was just to add drama.

2 Snipers.....no support weapons.....PSG1.....don't get me started on all the things out of place in that movie.
:lol:

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
in other words...the man was using a very high priced precision rifle made in germany that was a victim of the terrible movie.........sNiPeR EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEK :twisted:

dom

·
Registered
565 Posts
I'd say added cost, added weight and one more thing that could go wrong are the main reasons.

But, for those who haven't been around a full powered rifle used with a decent surpressor, you should hear mine :wink: ..still with hearing protection. But the point is that while the muzzle blast is fairly easy to locate the direction of, the supersonic crack alone is nearly impossible to track for the human ear.

So (not that I've tested...) at distances over 100-200m (roughly estimated) you'd have no idea where the shot came from without analyzing the bullet entry and all. That CAN in certain situations mean the sniper would have more time to get the hell out before everyone starts shooting. So, I would say there's a place for a suppressor in ...say, urban enviroments. But I don't think there's a place for a suppressor on every sniper rifle.

For civilian use I think suppressors is a great idea. It saves the enviroment for a lot of unwanted noise. The neighbours around the range get less pissed off... Besides, they change everything about the weapon their mounted on. More fun with the same weapon...

·
Registered
365 Posts
JRP, I understand now. :) You cleared up my point. OORAH

Kamatz, your right about the civy use. Im out inthe country w/ neihbores (not a lot) but I cant get a Remm. SPS .308 cuse that'd be to loud. I 'd be hated. hah Wounder what they think when Im shooting off my paintball marker, sounds like a automatic rifle because I can pull that double trigger fast !!

·
Registered
347 Posts
jc71corvette said:
dead_I_5_0 said:
...then you wouldn't have to worry about sound because your bullet hit your target before he heard anything.
-Brian Shields
I'm assuming you are quoting the ever famous Saving Private Ryan when you say that. Our beloved movie sniper, Jackson, is referring to how good the sniper is and how far he is...400 yards to be close to what the movie said. The only way for the bullet to hit after the sound gets there is for the bullet to go slower than sound...which would be hard to do with out going subsonic...oh wait ...that's what sub sonic is!!!! 8) That's my take on it.

-Brian Shields

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
you'd have to be pretty far for that...Ever shoot something and clearly hear your bullet's impact after the shot?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts