Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why is the Leupold Mark 4 LR/T 10x40 sell for 1,300$ when the Leupold Mark 4 LR/T 4.5-14x50 sells for 900$, it has more emagnification so shouldn't it cost more money? All the specs are the same, they both have mil-dots. As far as i can tell the only difference is the magnification.

Also what the heck is eye relief on scopes?

·
Registered
151 Posts
You will note that one scope is a variable and the other is a fixed power scope.

That little eyepiece that allows the scope to be a variable is much more complex than a fixed eyepiece in that there are more moving parts and almost certainly more lenses.

The other thing is that manufacturers know that there is an expectation that variables will cost more, so they charge accordingly.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Uh, someone has their info backwards :? .

Eye relief is the required distance between the shooters eye and the rear of the scope. Eye relief for rifle scopes is usually about three inches

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Impecable logic Critter............I would have come to the same conclusion,
except........he's saying the fixed power is the more expensive of the two....not the variable??

Low volume build with the fixed power?

Fixed power is a generaly more ruged construction for military use?

The vendor has made a screw up with their priceing? :roll:

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the effort Critter I had to read it twice to make sure I was understandiong what you said LOL

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
The construction of the mk4 10x is NOT the same as the mk4 4.5-14x.

The 10x is built with a different tube and is more rugged. It was designed for the military and is still used by the military. Now, do I think it should be priced more? No, probably not, as critter said, the fixed power is less complex and generally less money, but the mk4 10x is also what is used by the US Army, so they might be marking it up a bit to play the market. (I mean, geez, I have one on my Bravo :) so I can't really say much).

The mk4 10x and 16x are the cream of the Leupold crop.

(I'm getting tire of trying to explain leupolds messed up naming conventions... perhaps they'll change it BACK to the way it was before 2004)

MEL

·
Registered
151 Posts
Explain myself?

The fixed powere ST-10 for example starts at about $900 or so and goes up to around $1700 when you add all the bells and whistles.

Now the SN-3 variable, a more complex scope in a 1.8-10, a five to one zoom that is basically the same scope with a variable eyepiece ranges from about $1500 to a little over $2000.

So you can see that the variable eye piece adds about $600 to the price of the same tough as nails scope.

Other manufacturers may vary.

http://www.usoptics.com/gallery/uploads/sn3-sn6-10x.jpg

1 - 7 of 7 Posts