Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey
i have always wandered why snipers today don't use the 30-06 insted of the .308 cas' the 30-06 shoots a lot flater at lest what i've seen on the remington ballistics page and maybe snipers do i just haven't seen it any where oh well if you could let me know why pleas do
thanks

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
the .308 is used instead of the .30-06 for a few reasons

the .308 is NATO standard
it doesnt require a long action
ive herd people say the .308 is more accurate... maybe maybe not
its thicker and shorter so id say maybe more consistnat powder burn which could lead to better accuracy
.308 kicks less not that the .30-06 is really that bad
the .308 is popular and if more oomph is needed, the .300 Win Mag is becoming increacingly popular which can do everything the .30-06 can do + some then the .338 Lapua which is in a whole differnt league as the .30 caliber rounds i mentioned

the .30-06's advantages are it pushes a heavier bullet at a faster velocity, drifts in the wind less, shoots much flatter, retains more of its velocity and arrives with much more energy

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok thaks that makes more sence now
i bought a savage 30-06 111 what do you think that it was a good idea for deer hunting in west TN ?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
oh yea where can i go too learn how too reduce the triger pull on my ruger 10/22
thanks agein

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
the .30-06 is just as good for hunting as a .308 if not better
the reasons the military chose the .308 have nothing to do with bullet performance, more other reasons that dont apply for hunters
as long as you arnt using military ammo to hunt which i woudl advise against the .30-06 is fine
the .30-06 is a good choice for hunting deer and it gives you plenty of range in an accurate gun, savage tends to be accurate out of the box
regarding your trigger im sure someone else can answer that sry thats an area that ive never touched

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yea, i wasn't shure if you could get that one, thanks any way.
btw do you deer hunt?
if soo what do you use and where do you hunt?
thanks again

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
yes i do
i plan to be hunting them this season w/ my Rem 700P (.308)
lol being a .308 has nothin to od with the .30-06 vs .308 discussion only that its the 700P is made in
another arguement in favor of the .308, just about all tactical rifles are chambered in it
this reason fo course doesnt apply to hunting rifles which have many chambered in .30-06

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
30-06 is great for deer.........heck you could take it out west if you wanted to. It has a large choice of bullets, you can not go wrong with it for white tail!

About the ruger 10/22:

It is a easy mod to do. The problem is the tools to do it with. I have a family member that is a jeweller (sp?) and have access to her tools. YOU DO NOT WANT TO USE A MILL BAST. FILE!!! ONLY A VERY VERY VERY FINE POLISHING COMPOUND FOR FILE.

Remove the stock, remove the action, remove the hammer. To start with only polish the hammer face, that will make a huge difference. If it is still not what you want you can start removing material from the hammer (very very very little) and polish each time. If you screw up a good replacement hammer is pretty cheep. Remember it takes time to do this, do not get in a hurry or you will have a trigger that is not legal! (you go to jail!!) Class 3 firearm.

Disclaimer - do this at your own risk. I am very very poor (have no money) If you do this mod and get killed, kill someone........anyone gets hurt.......it is your fault....not mine, so don't be stupid. :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
is there some sort of web site i could go too that would provide me with pictures to go with the instroctions you gave me i'm not very welthy ether and thats why i don't want too screw anything up too the point i would have too buy a new gun or bring it too a gunsmith

thanks

·
Registered
448 Posts
Savage,

If you can live with the trigger like it is for a while I would suggest you save up the money somehow and take it to a competent gunsmith. it's just safer that way. just some friendly advice and would hate to hear that you or someone else got hurt because you modified a trigger.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Great, thanks guys. I will check ther site out and see what i find. I was kind of reluktent too do that myself becase, i have never done any sort or gun work and i also, like you seid, didn't want anyone too get hurt by me, doing that too a gun.

thanks again

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
savage-man,

don't be scared to work on it............just read up, study, find someone with a little "now how" and go to it..........everybody has to start somewhere!! Just be carefull. I started with my 10/22T :D

Savage+Nightforce,
Good link!!!!!

·
Registered
34 Posts
buy the volquestran hammer! for 10-22

For your Ruger 10-22, all you have to do is to buy the Volquestran hammer. dont waste money on anything else. you should be able to get a V-hammer for about $ 30-35 dollars. If you go to website: "www.rimfirecentral.com/forums"
they have all your answers about the ruger 10-22 to include expanded views of the action and very good recomendations when installing your V-Hammer.
V-Hammer is the best 35 dollar action job you can get. , you will be amazed.
Good luck

IZ

·
Registered
5 Posts
If i'm not mistaken, A Gunny Srg. by the name of Carlos Hathcock, used a rememing(for a short time) and a Winchester M70 in the 30-06. Both a famous man and a famous cartridge that accomplished many famous obstacles in the Vietnam conflict. (R.I.P. gunny!)

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
yep, pre 64 winchester model 70 in 30-06.

I don't know why I don't have a .308 yet...Its been argued and argued but I just like 30-06

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
i like the .30-06 too but i only have 1 rifle chambered in it and a few i wouldnt mind have chambered in it
it seems that if you look at all my favorite rifles there all in .308 or .300 WM
the .30-06 has been forgotten

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
it seems that if you look at all my favorite rifles there all in .308 or .300 WM
the .30-06 has been forgotten
Agreed! The .30-06 is a great all around cartridge, even for sniping. A bit better range than the .308, and less recoil than the .300 WM. I'm an -06 fan...

MEL

·
Registered
33 Posts
308.has a superior knock down power than the smaller 30-06 slug and leaves a bigger track wound witch means less of a chance of the bad guy getting up and killing a few of your buddies and did you know that the 30-06. has nuthing to do with the slug the 30 stands for 1930 in witch the bullet was adopted buy the army and the 06.is the thickness of the brass that holds the slug or something like that( if I got this wrong id like to know so prove it and tell me )

1 - 20 of 61 Posts