Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just disassembled my new Rem 700 lightweight varmint 308. The stock is free floated from the barrel except at last one and a half inches of the stock. There are two one inch long nubs that are raised about a quarter inch and are about little finger in width. the rest of the stock if floated.
Does anyone have any experience with these pressure points? I expected the whole thing to have been free floated. Will this affect accuracy? should I remove them and let the barrel be free?
Thanks for your help.

Rem 700, lightweight varmint 22 inch barrel (fluted), composite stock, 308

IZ

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Well, pressure points toward the front of the forarm are common for sporter rifles, I'm really surprised they have them on your varminter. The reason they do them is because it helps to dampen the vibrations of the barrel, helping to get "Acceptible" accuracy with mass produced rifles, usually from thinner sporter barrels. Heavier barrels tend to do better free floated. Personally, I think it should be free floated if its a heavy barrel (except for perhaps the 1-2" immediately in front of the recoil lug).

If it was my rifle, I would free float it, BUT, I would hate to suggest you do that, and then the accuracy be worse!! The folks at remington are not dumb, so I would think they have tested, i dont know?? :?

I know I didn't give you a definitive answer on wether to do it or not, but I'll leave that decision to you.

MEL

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pressure point

As always, Thanks Mel for the advice. I think I will first try shooting it to see how it is grouping different loads, afterwards I will try placing a couple of pieces of credit card between the action and the pillars, thus lifting the barrel/action and floating it above the pressure points. I will re-shoot the loads and compare the results before I use my dremel to remove the pressure points (if needed).

IZ

·
Registered
292 Posts
shoot it and if it shoots good dont mess with it and if it sucks then screw with it... by the way how do like it? i want to get on in .204 ruger some day if tis the lvsf..sounds like it is

·
Registered
9 Posts
I talked to a guy about these today at a local store....He said they are not pillar bedded the same as the regular 700 varmint guns or the bedding isn't as long or something, i can't remember exactly what he said but that would be my guess..I'm kind of a rifle NEWB so I wasn't sure exactly what he was talking about.

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
I think what you are trying to say is that they do not have the aluminum bedding block like the varmint synthetics (VS) do. And he is correct, they do not, only the synthetic stocks have the bedding block.

MEL

·
Registered
9 Posts
his guns has a composite stock. But i do believe it was something to do with the bedding block...I think those lightweight varmints are lighter then my synthetic adl 270.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts