Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 20 of 138 Posts

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A buddy of mine met one of the very few Law enforcement Rangers for one of the local National Forest areas. During the conversation the Ranger told my buddy that the Mexican Mafia in increasingly growing marajuana on the forest service land, but now they are guarding it with exmilitary and fedralies. To boot if the garden gets raided or busted the guards do not get paid. The guy told my buddy to always be armed when he goes out there.

Most people think of CA as LA type areas, but where I live near the Oregon border it is very remote, without cell phone service. In fact in many places in the mountains people stil do not have electricty in their homes. Because of this help is not a phone call away. Marajuana growing has been a problem around here since the late 1970's, so this is not a new problem. My buddie reassured the guy that we are not the victom type, and we usually had a handgun or two under the seat, a 12g shotgun and/or an M1 garand in the truck, and thats for archery season. They LE commented that was smart. So much for "assult weapons" not being needed by the average citizen, since the government will protect you.

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
If I lived in that kinda territory you can bet I'd be tricking out an AR right now. As it stands for me, no one can tell me that a person does not need a gun, so long as they desire one..."Assault weapon" is a term that always sticks in my craw. I wonder if people actually picture a man turning evil just because he owns one. Or for that matter, the weapon flying down the street on it's own power, picking people off with an evil cackle.

Part of the reason I hate it so much is exactly what I have been talking about here in Misc with the restricted weapons. If the Govt. of my country thinks I can own a firearm, then I can own a firearm. Shouldn't matter if it's my shotgun, an AR-15 or a pistol. Having a pistol won't suddenly make me a mental-case on a killing spree.

No Mexican mafia here...But one day I grilled steaks and forgot to wash the BBQ...That night we had an Black bear going after the porch...One of many bears that rummage the yard, I'm afraid. "Assault weapon" would make me feel better, yeah.

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In California they passed an assult weapons ban a few years ago so AR-15's are illegal except for LE. The only semi-auto options are M1 garand, M1a or Ruger mini-14. Also we have a 10 round max on magazines. I am sure the dope growers have gotten rid of their assult weapons. Intrestly enough the incident that got the ban through was the bank robbery in LA that the guys used illegal fully auto AK-47's. they way the cops stopped the fight was they went to a gun store, grabbed some AR-15's and killed the guys. The media did not tell that part much, just how the evil "assult weapons" killed a bunch of people.

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
I knew they grabbed some ARs from the gun shop, but I thought they brought one down with pistol fire and the other killed himself...thats what it looked like in the video.

For an AR in Cali, do you have to have the mag permanantly attached and fixed to 10 rounds? It's pretty much the same laws up here, almost, but taking the course I did gets access to the goodies the fools in Cali banned outright.

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Muzzleblast said:
I knew they grabbed some ARs from the gun shop, but I thought they brought one down with pistol fire and the other killed himself...thats what it looked like in the video.

For an AR in Cali, do you have to have the mag permanantly attached and fixed to 10 rounds? It's pretty much the same laws up here, almost, but taking the course I did gets access to the goodies the fools in Cali banned outright.
The way the law reads is any centerfire rifle with two of the following feartures is considered an assult weapon and illegal: flash superesser, bayonet lug, pistol grip stock, detachable magazine capable of carrying more than 10 rounds. There are some guns that are listedthatare illegal perioud like the AR-15 or any of it's clones. I hear that there is a new AR version that has the fixed magazine legal here in CA. BTW my M1A is a california legal version, meaning no bayonet lug, the flash suppresser has been replaced with a muzzle brake and that is it.

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Right on, Mad...

Eka, I stumbled across some shotgun info from Cali that is just the same as Canada...Overall length, 26 inches, any less, no go. Same here. We can have a shorter barrel than 18 inches, as is Cali law, but only for manual repeaters. The 18 inch law for us goes for centerfire semi-autos. It's 18.5 inches in Canada, any shorter and it's restricted.

So similar it's creepy.

·
Registered
307 Posts
In Canada, we really, really, REALLY don't need to protect ourselves from that much. Hell, I leave my apartment door unlocked, and my own door unlocked. I have never, in 21 years, had one of my houses in Canada broken into. I've had some stuff stolen, yes, but they were all cheap pieces of crap that were pretty well not even worth the effort of stealing.

Although, frankly, if I were living in the kind of land Ekaphoto is living in, I wouldn't feel too bad going "hunting" every once in a while, to be honest. Might as well be hunting bears, really. Big giant pests that steal from you. Slightly less furry though.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Okay, let's expand it a bit. I do not know one person who has had their house broken into and stolen from, much less murdered. That's about 50-100 people that I can recall, who have never had their house broken into. It just isn't that common.

In Toronto, which apparently has some gang problems, yes, I can see it happening, along with Vancouver, which has some problems with asian gangs. Really, the BIGGEST threat to my safety, according to the last media hype, is being gang rushed. 50 or so kids get together, and no one can stop them.

But it really isn't that common at all. I don't even think we've had a murder so far in this town of 250k people.

But yes, I still really do need a gun. Whether or not I would ever be able to use it for home protection or not is a bit of a stretch of imagination though (Loaded guns aren't too safe, and if that screws up, and I accidentally put a round off in the house, I lose a liscence and a gun, along with ending up in alot of trouble).

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
CM2k said:
In Canada, we really, really, REALLY don't need to protect ourselves from that much. Hell, I leave my apartment door unlocked, and my own door unlocked. I have never, in 21 years, had one of my houses in Canada broken into. I've had some stuff stolen, yes, but they were all cheap pieces of crap that were pretty well not even worth the effort of stealing.

Although, frankly, if I were living in the kind of land Ekaphoto is living in, I wouldn't feel too bad going "hunting" every once in a while, to be honest. Might as well be hunting bears, really. Big giant pests that steal from you. Slightly less furry though.
When I was a kid here we never had problems like this. Yes the marajuana growers in the hills were there, but not a violent type for the most part. In town everyone left their door unlocked. Even in the hills the growers were in few select areas. Over the last 10 years we have gotten gangs of all types, rape robbery and murder happen all the time. This isn't some inner city I live in. The crime is coming your way. I hate to tell you and you probably don't believe it. 10 years ago I would never have thought this area would be this bad, but it is.

Many of the problems have come from the inner city gangs (cryps, bloods etc) expanding their business market into new rural areas. After they get locals hooked it just goes down hill from there. I guarintee you have gangs in your area if you live in a med size town or larger. The problem is most people do not realize it untill they have been there for a few years. Do you ever see graffitti on walls, signs etc? If so that is a gang marking their territory. Believe it or not the gang members leave you alone if you do not interfear with them. Their business is selling drugs, and they approach it as such. The problems are with their customers that get whacked out, need money etc. Drug burnout do strange things, and very violent things. They will also do anything for money. It is common for a female addic to trade "favors" for drugs. When she is so old, toothless and strung out no one wants her, I have seen them trade their daughters of 12 years old for drugs.

Another favorite trick is to get young girls hooked on drugs (13-14 yrs old) and use them as hookers and to transport the drugs. It's on its way there I hate to tell you.

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
It's not on the way here...It is here.

Only speaking for the town I live in...In the last two years, we've had biker turf wars, Hells Angels whupping on bar owners with bats, at least two firearms murders, and a couple burglaries.

IF anyone followed Recoil's advice, I wouldn't look down on them at all. I have a Garand, and the SKS, neither is tricked out but I think in his scenarios they are both solid weapons. They're both non-restricted. Does that mean I have arms, loaded and ready for "go time" all around the house? Nah. He's not saying anything (IMO) that would be less safe than having firearms in your house anyway.

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Muzzleblast said:
It's not on the way here...It is here.

Only speaking for the town I live in...In the last two years, we've had biker turf wars, Hells Angels whupping on bar owners with bats, at least two firearms murders, and a couple burglaries.

IF anyone followed Recoil's advice, I wouldn't look down on them at all. I have a Garand, and the SKS, neither is tricked out but I think in his scenarios they are both solid weapons. They're both non-restricted. Does that mean I have arms, loaded and ready for "go time" all around the house? Nah. He's not saying anything (IMO) that would be less safe than having firearms in your house anyway.
IMHO the tricked out version means more crap to break. Both are exellant firarms in original form for the average guy. The only "high speed" thing I like for day to day stuff is the trijcon or similar site. A good low to med power scope with a post site or heavy recitules will do as well for most people. The fancy battry operated crap will fail you when you need it most. It's not like I am in the military anymore and my day is spent maintaing my weapon.

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Oh yea, I forgot to mention. I don't keep my M1 loaded around the house. I do keep a handgun and shotgun loaded for home defense, but don't see the need for a loaded rifle around since overpenetration is an issue and it would be close range where the shotgun would be better anyway.

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Yeah, I know what you mean, Eka. There's not much point to loading up junk on a weapon. By tricked out I kinda meant Recoil's SKS in the picture, with the folding stock and cut down barrel, and a (reliable) extended mag.

As for the optics, I agree with you. I'd actually compromise there and say a Scout M1A would be awesome. Short barrel, easy to use optics with either an Aimpoint type sight, or a scout scope with low mag.

The M1 is great. Accurate, and holds 8 of a very potent round, with some right awesome sights. If anyone has never used a Garand, forget what they say about it being slow to reload. You can throw in a new clip just as fast as you can change a magazine in anything else.

If you want to be "tame", the carbine length Marlin and Winchesters are about 36 inches long, and hold 11 rounds of 44 Magnum. Not too bad...not as tactically useful as the SKS or M1 Carbine, but it's no slouch either. And it shares ammo with some groovy revolvers :D

·
Registered
175 Posts
I have several "assault" weapons, along with enough ammunition, extra magazines, spare parts, etc. to keep them going for a VERY prolonged firefight if necessary. And yes, food, water, independant power sources, and other other essentials. Do I "need" to have an "arsenal" and a "stockpile" of ammunition. In my opinion, yes. I live in a remote area where peace officers are few and far between. My proximity to our southern border means I am at high risk for "encounters" with illegal aliens, drug runners, and on a growing basis incursions by the Mexican military. If things get ugly, I will not have the luxury of calling the police and quietly waiting for their arrival. Instead, I will have to rely on my ability to defend myself. Since all of these "threats" have already shown their disregard for American laws by their mere presence on my property, I cannot assume they will respect our laws against taking life. Fortunately I live in a country and state that still recognizes my right to own weaponry that gives me a fighting chance against well-armed attackers should the situation demand it. The fact that I have not yet had such an encounter does not mean it will never happen. Many of these threats are growing in frequency and it is naive to think "it can never happen to me" just because it hasn't in the past.

To the above, add all of the other threats that haven't happened yet, like chaos resulting from economic collapse, ecological disasters, terrorist actions, etc. Not only do I think that owning an "assault" weapon is a good idea, I think NOT owning one when you legally can is irresponsible if you have a family you may need to protect. I don't live in fear of attacks by drug runners, Mexican soldiers, terrorists, an oppressive government, etc., but I do acknowledge the fact that the potential exists. Consequently, I have "insurance", just like I have fire insurance, collision insurance, hurricane insurance, etc. If that qualifies me as paranoid or weird, so be it.

Also add...because I want one and the 2nd Amendment says I can have one. Like RECOIL, I am not advocating subversion or a militant approach. But I do take my rights, my freedoms and our Constitution very, very seriously and I feel it is my responsibility to do everything in my power to preserve and protect them. To that end..."From my cold, dead hands..."

K2

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Lest anyone question K2's ability to use his "stockpile" and survive against all he mentioned, remember that dude was SOG lol.

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If I lived on the border I would have my assault rifle loaded at all time. I have heard of the growing threat and the threat is real. I hear the number of firefights the border patrol gets in increases al the time. God help the idiots that decide to open up on the citizens that have decide to patrol the border. I am sure a majority of them have hunted all their lives and can actually shoot. I wasn't saying no one should have their assult rifle loaded, just that it is not necessary for me or people living in urban areas. When I head to the hills my Garand goes with me many times along with enough spare ammo to get me out of trouble. I now have the M1A/M-14 to take along as well.

As for the M1 not beign able to keep up with modern assault rifles, that is simply not true IMHO. Yea it's only 8 rounds, but you can actually reload an M1 Garand faster than a magazine fed rifle. The reason is there is no mag to pull out. You simply grab another clip and slap into the rifle, then away you go. Also no issued of is the round going to hit hard enough to stop someone. Do you know why the M1 and M1A don't have a forward assist? It does not need one. If you don't believe me let the bolt close on your thumb on an M-16 and then an M1 Garand. You will soon see the light.

1 - 20 of 138 Posts