Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are a lot of hunters here, so I thought this would be a good casual topic with the beginning of hunting season. I'd like to hear your favorite game recipes (pics if you have them ;) ) for preparing wild game. Any kind of game you hunt be it deer, waterfowl, pheasant, elk, moose . . . . the list goes on. Many times the recipes passed down through the generations are better than those found in yuppy cookbooks, so let's hear them!! I'll be adding my recipe for extremely succulent goose 'kabobs as soon as I get all of it typed up.

My stomach is growling already . . . :wink:

-matt

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Damn that sounds good, Wello! Great idea for a topic too Monte.

Venison a la Muzz:

Slice a backstrap as thin as you can, preferably while frozen. Think potato chip. Slice an onion into about a tablespoon full of small cubes.

Boil some potatoes cut into cubes while ya do this, for frying later.

In a cast iron pan or dutch oven, heat some lard and add the meat and onions, and fry until brown on both sides. Add the potatoes and stir often.

Heat up about a cup and a half of water, and add a teabag, stirring and basically making tea. Remove the bag and add flour, about 1/4 cup or less, but not more than you can dissolve in the glass.

Pour slowly over the meat and now crispy potatoes, and stir in salt and a generous amount of pepper. Let the gravy thicken until ya like it.

Butter up some fresh bread to eat it with and enjoy!

·
Registered
180 Posts
best game cookbook of all time L.L. Bean Wild Game Cookbook-absolutely phenomenal.
Favorite game recipe Game Pie- inspired from Colonial Williamsburg.-Like chicken pot pie but with venison,duck, rabbit in a rich brown sauce.
anyone is interested i could send them the recipe-it's time consuming but worth it
doc

·
Registered
5,043 Posts
The worst thing to try and make edible is a venison neck roast.The crock pot is your freind. Marinate in cooking sherry and bay leaves overnight and cook for about 6 hours on medium. The rest of the spices is up to taste.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Brown a venison roast (not too thick) and stick it in the crockpot. Add two cans of golden mushroom soup, about a cup of water, sprinkle on some sage, salt and pepper to taste. Cook all day on low. serve the gravy on top of the meat and rice or potatos.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Need:
1 large backstrap from a wild pig.
1 box CHICKEN stove top stuffing.
1 16 oz can of sliced peaches in heavy syrup.
1 bottle mustard - Dijon or honey mustard or whatever you like.
1 jar of peach preserves.

Butterfly the backstrap.
Purée the peaches in the syrup.
Mix the puréed peaches and syrup into the stove top stuffing. If the consistency is not to your liking you can add hot water to make it thinner.
Spread the stuffing mix on top of the backstrap and fold over the butterfly.
Mix the mustard and preserves 1/2 and 1/2 by volume.
Cover the backstrap with the mustard/preserves mix put in oven at 250* and bake until done. Basting every so often with the remander of the mustard/preserves mix.

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thats what I'm talking about guys, keep them coming!

Thanks mods for the Sticky BTW!

How about some goose stew?

2 Large Canada goose [email protected] (Soaked for at least 12 hours in salt brine to draw out blood)
1 Red onion
1 Red potato
2 carrots
2 Cans Cream of Mushroom soup
Water
Salt & Pepper
Bacon Grease

Start by chopping the goose [email protected] into 1/4" square strips, cutting across the grain of the muscle. Long strips can be cut into shorter chunks to make it easier to eat. I like onion so I use a full onion, but others may prefer just 1/2 onion or so. Cut the onion into large petals. Heat the bacon grease in a frying pan and fry the goose strips with the onion petals in the grease over medium heat until browned. Drain the meat and onions and set aside.

Cut the potato and carrots into chunks (keep in mind that smaller chunks will cook faster, and the potatoes determine how long it takes to cook the stew). Combine all ingredients in your crock pot, adding about 1/4 of the recommended water for the cream of mushroom. I used about 1/2 the recommended water last time and it was just too runny. Cook over medium heat for about 4 hours, or until the potatoes are tender. You could also put it on low and leave it cook all day while you're at work. Add salt and pepper to taste and you're ready to eat!! Goes great with some buttered bread and a cold beer :)

-matt

edited: apparently the text censor doesn't like the large muscles found in the chest portion of a goose :lol:

·
Registered
400 Posts
Deer Stroganoff

This is really quick and easy. Cook time is about 10-15 minutes...

-boil one large bag (1 pound) of egg noodles
-Take about 1 pound of deer meat and chop into small chucks. Chop up 1 large onion into small pieces as well.
-Brown the meat with the onion in a large pot (you might need to throw some oil in the pot to keep it from sticking since venison doesn't have much fat).
-Mix in 1 family size can of Campbells cream of mushroom soup, 1 jar of sliced mushrooms (you could use fresh mushrooms if you like and cook them with the meat and onions), and worchestershire sauce.
-season as required for your tastes
-add in the cooked egg noodles and mix it all together
-when you are ready to serve mix in a couple big spoonfulls of sour cream (about 1 cup or so)

Quick and easy to make and easy clean up.

***Note. It is very easy to make this meal extremely healthy and diet by substituting fat free soup, fat free sour cream, and no yolk egg noodles***

-Andy

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
My wife is busy compiling some bison recipes, but here is one we know we have used before. Its pretty easy, and makes a sweet dish called victory dinner. Its an old submariner's dish my maternal grandfather cooked while on the USS Saury in WWII. The dish used beef, but we have done it with bison before.

One very large pot is needed.

1/2lb bacon
2-3lbs bison patties
3lbs sliced skinned potatoes
Milk
1onion
cheese if desired

Cook bacon in pan bottom pull it out set off to the side, then brown the patties in the pan, once done cover with the bacon, add the potatoes, and onion sliced, mix them up good(leave the bacon and bison in the bottom), cover with milk and shredded cheese. Cover and simmer until the potatoes have become tender. This is a great easy to make dish that is true comfort food.

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That sounds tasty Mark! Your grandfather is truly a great American for his service and his impact on your life, I know he was a big influence on your pursuing a law enforcement career, and your decision to take up gunsmithing. I can only hope that we can have more Americans so honorable as him and his peers.

-matt

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
I was one lucky kid, my maternal Grandfather was a qualified submariner on the USS Saury in the South Pacific, he died when I was 6, my paternal grandfather was a US Army Sniper in France in the 44th infantry division, 324 regiment, Co F. Both were big influences on how I grew up, one indirect and one very direct.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Andy, I tried your recipe this week-end with deer, and its very good!!

Thank you!! :)

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
For wild hog, we often take the ham steaks and grill them real slow(go slow they dont have much fat on them). I brush on bbq sauce of the sweet variety, or hickory smoke type and keep doing it on and off until they are done. Combine this some sliced skin on potatoes and onions wrapped in foil and cooked on the grill at the same time with some butter, salt and pepper in the mix and it makes a great easy to cook meal.

·
Registered
180 Posts
venison stew
2lbs chunks venison met=whatever neck shoulder etc
carrots potatoes celery onions
1 cup white wine 1 cup beef stock canned
salt pepper bay leaf
everything in crock pot
cook overnight
primo stew
you can remove everything and thicken with flour or cornstarch is you like a thicker gravy
doc

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
I've tried this one, it worked for me and it was pretty easy too

Ingredients needed:
1 coney

materials needed:
1 semi-sharp knife

step 1: skin said coney
step 2: eat said coney.

nuff said ;)

·
Registered
174 Posts
This last year I took my first elk, and hence I have a large amount of Elk meat in my freezer. Does anyone have a tastey Elk dish I could try? I have been making Elk burgers, but I am looking for something a little more interesting !

·
Registered
103 Posts
I make quick and easy venison sandwiches every year for lunshes at work.
I take a venison and strip the muscle the muscle groups , then run them throuhg a minute steak machine, or beat the crap outta them with the
"kinetic met tenderizer" :D
Freeze them in baggies , with enough for two sandwiches in each bag, that way you can take them out and thaw them as needed.
Slap them on the barbeque the night before with your favourite spice and sauce, and cool them in the fridge.
next morning it's a simple matter to make a few sandwiches and throw them in your lunch bucket.
Even shank meat can be tenderized with the minute steak machine! :D
ironsighter

1 - 20 of 28 Posts