Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I took my Dad's 80 year old Winchester Model 69A out to play today. My Dad passed away in 1979 and I grabbed it. He got it in 1939 when he was 10 years old. It has been meticulously maintained every since I got it. When I got it there was some minor pitting on the end of the 24" barrel so I took it to a gunsmith. He removed the pitting and finished the metal in a mirror blue. I took the stock down to the wood and refinished with new walnut stain and 8 coats of Tru-Oil. I had the gunsmith put weaver bases on it and at the time (over 30 years ago) I put a Simmons 3-10 "44 Mag" scope on it. Overall it is still a very good scope for a .22 but lacks any kind of parallax correction so you have to make sure your stock weld is consistent from shot to shot. It took it out to the range today and after re-sighting in the scope I shot a 3 round group 0.44" ctc at 50 yds with it using standard Winchester bulk consumer ammunition. I think this is the best this rifle can do using this mediocre ammunition. The trigger pull is a little heavy, about 6 lbs or so, but there is zero creep and a super clean break. It is a beautiful rifle in addition to being a real shooter.

The quality of this rifle is from an era long gone by. When my dad got it, it was a mid priced consumer oriented rifle.

Win 69A 02-22-20 600.jpg

Win 69A.jpg

·
Registered
1 Posts
Scoped or Iron sights? I had one as a boy that had target sights. Very accurate.

I took my Dad's 80 year old Winchester Model 69A out to play today. My Dad passed away in 1979 and I grabbed it. He got it in 1939 when he was 10 years old. It has been meticulously maintained every since I got it. When I got it there was some minor pitting on the end of the 24" barrel so I took it to a gunsmith. He removed the pitting and finished the metal in a mirror blue. I took the stock down to the wood and refinished with new walnut stain and 8 coats of Tru-Oil. I had the gunsmith put weaver bases on it and at the time (over 30 years ago) I put a Simmons 3-10 "44 Mag" scope on it. Overall it is still a very good scope for a .22 but lacks any kind of parallax correction so you have to make sure your stock weld is consistent from shot to shot. It took it out to the range today and after re-sighting in the scope I shot a 3 round group 0.44" ctc at 50 yds with it using standard Winchester bulk consumer ammunition. I think this is the best this rifle can do using this mediocre ammunition. The trigger pull is a little heavy, about 6 lbs or so, but there is zero creep and a super clean break. It is a beautiful rifle in addition to being a real shooter.

The quality of this rifle is from an era long gone by. When my dad got it, it was a mid priced consumer oriented rifle.

View attachment 28450

View attachment 28452

·
Registered
14 Posts
Those old Winchester rimfires are some of the finest made rifles in our history and extremely accurate as you have reported. It was nice to hear of your loving restoration of your dad's rifle, an heirloom that you can hand down to your children. If you have a good gunsmith work the trigger and add a higher magnification AO scope, you will be amazed at the additional accuracy you can squeeze out of that rifle with higher end ammunition!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts