Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a bit of a gadget freak... I have all kinds of vitals of my PC showing up on a separate LCD, I installed a data logger for my car to measure things like timing offset and intercooler temperature every 5 sec. I war a watch that has a compas, barometer/altimeter, thermometer, and is solar powered.

So naturally I am drawn to gadgets for shooting that measure wind speed, direction, humidity, barometrc presure, etc. I understand from THEORY that such measurements can be used to aim more accurately in long range shooting, BUT - does anyone use em?

A buddy of mine is making fun of me already for wanting to buy such a gizmo!

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... DAV=search

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I have a Kestrel 3000. I use it every time I do load testing. Its critical to knowing how loads are going to perform in the future - gotta keep those records.

I also use it every time I'm on the range and it means something. Let them give you sh!t - just remember to kick their butt every time you shoot against them and NEVER tell them what the guage is reading. Eyeballing a range flag, streamer, or how the trees are blowing is one thin knowing its blowing 12.7 mph with gusts to 17 is another one altogether. :D

JeffVN

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
I bet there's some overzealous AR owner with one strapped to his SIR. I bet it would help though, cuts down on the estimating. Tell you what... buy me one and I'll let you know if it makes my AR shoot better.

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Its important to know humidity and temp for your given shooting session. It also means its important to know them when deployed. But no, I do not normally take meters into the field, I will be watching weather patterns and generally can tell "about" what they are. At the range, its different, and best to record correct data in your log book.

In terms of wind, I have no wind meters, its pointless to measure wind at your location. YOu want to estimate the wind 2/3 of the way to the target, thats where it is most critical. You do this with mirage, veg, and anything else that can help

MEL

1 - 4 of 4 Posts