Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came home early yesterday and decided I would go out in the pasture and shoot. It was windy 15 mph to 24mph gusts. The wind blew almost constantly with a few quick breaks of what seemed like no wind. The place had just been brush hogged so there was a little bit of grass and the such to watch for wind estimation (along with the trees). It was hot, around 90 or higher and humid (43%).

The group is a four shot group, the fourth being a flyer (my fault) didn't time the wind gust right. The other three are strung together. The target is a Birchwood Casey 2" Dot. I like to shoot in the wind and like to work out difficult problems. But I also love it when there is no wind.

This group was shot from the Northwest corner of my cross fence to the Southeast (diagonal) portion of the pasture where I have my 100 yard back stop. I can go as far as 130 yards. The wind described above was blowing from the SSW. With the grade on the pasture and trees, it creates some unusual wind patterns. I had the scope set for a distance of 100 yards but used SWAG for my aiming. I figured out the firing solutions anyway but did not touch the knobs. I just used the cross hair as a reference and shifted off a tad to the right and timed the wind. I was shooting off my rucksack to, no bipod. I normally use a bipod but had it on another rifle.

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Nice group, and that combination of rifle and scope looks awesome!

·
Registered
347 Posts
i most definitly would NOT want to be standing at 100 yards with you behind the rifle! good looking rig you got there!

-Brian Shields

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
nice shootin m8--wish i could do that in nasty ass wind like u!!!

dom

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you guys, I appreciate the kind comments. Recoil, I will post a picture of my ranch saddle for you. It is a fully stamped buckaroo saddle, 5/8 rigged, sporting my 60' rawhide reata. Oh what the heck, I have a picture of when I was working on the New Mexico/Mexico border. I will get some pictures of my tools (guns) together and a picture of where I shoot at on my property.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
I must say thansen, with that much wind at 100 yards being able to maintain those kinds of groups, and with an angled shot thats pretty impressive! Now, if only I can do that at 300 :roll: Good shooting boss!!

Respectfully,
Tyler Consugar

·
Registered
314 Posts
Nice rifle :shock: and good job making those well placed shots!!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey guys thanks for the compliments. I like to shoot in about any type of condition, but I love shooting with the wind. I am quite sure you guys are real good shots yourselves.

Tom

1 - 10 of 10 Posts