Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had any experience with the Witt Machine bolt-on muzzle breaks? I am looking at them and they seem to be a very well built unit for a very good price. This would be for my Howa 1500 Varmint in .308. Any input would be great.

Thanks,
Erik

·
Premium Member
4,710 Posts
There good brakes from what I've heard of them. I personally like threaded on brakes better. I just don't like anything that bulky on the end of my barrel.

Reactions: SatCong

·
Registered
750 Posts
I have one on my R700 .308, and it workd pretty good, but it sure is ugly.

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
I've had one on my .308 for a couple years now. Works great and is no more ugly than the brake that Sako puts on their TRG's. Clamping screws are on the bottom and aren't all that conspicuous.

·
Registered
4,698 Posts
I just mounted one on a 7mm RM the other day but haven't gotten out to shoot it yet. Yes it's large but I don't think it's overly ugly. I am more of a function vs looks person though. It was easy to install and Deadshot helped out with a couple tips. So will let you know how it works when I can make it to the range.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I have one on my 700 Police LTR. Ugly but it certainly works. Nice folks at Witt machine. You do the measurements on you barrel at three points and they cut custom. If you screw up they recut or replace nc.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Put one on my dad's .308 and it cut the recoil in half. Minor change to point of impact at 100 yards. It was easy to install.

I prefer threaded on breaks like the APA's but if you don't want to thread the muzzle on a rifle it is a good option for a muzzle break.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ive heard nightmares of bolt-on breaks falling off during firing.....not a good thing. It sounds like nobody has experienced anything catastrophic with the Witt break, other than how it looks. Could anyone share a picture of their rifle with a Witt break on it so that I could see it?

Thank you!

·
Registered
510 Posts
Ive heard nightmares of bolt-on breaks falling off during firing.....not a good thing. It sounds like nobody has experienced anything catastrophic with the Witt break, other than how it looks. Could anyone share a picture of their rifle with a Witt break on it so that I could see it?

Thank you!
I read those stories too, and was a little nervous when we bought one for my Dad's. I ran a cleaning Rod all the way through the bore and the muzzle brake multiple times to make sure everything was straight.

Witt machine gives instructions on measuring your rifle, so the brake is made specifically to your rifle. Properly installed from there, which is simple, I don't think there is a significant risk to the brake falling off or for bullets to strike it

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,698 Posts
Well I finally got out to shoot my 7mm RM Sako L61R with the Witt brake installed. Man it cut recoil dramatically! It feels like my Creedmoor now when I shoot it. I could shoot it all day. Before this I shot 20 rounds through it and I had a bruise on my shoulder for 2 weeks and I am not recoil sensitive at all. The rifle is much nicer to shoot now. I would highly recommend the brake. Didn't loosen up at all either.

Accuracy looked good the first time I shot the rifle with my buddy who gave me the rifles loads as I haven't loaded anything up for it yet. But I shot two 3 shot groups today with his 168 SMK loads with two different powders and I was very happy. The top is the first and then I adjusted the scope and shot the second.

Here is a look at the brake on my rifle up close and a full rifle shot. On Tuesday i will be fitting it into a Boyds Pro Varmint stock pictured below.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Very Nice.
How was the installation of the brake?
Did you need to use a rubber mallet or open the clamping to slide it on the barrel?
I am curious as I am expecting one to arrive any day now.

·
Registered
4,698 Posts
Very Nice.
Did you need to use a rubber mallet or open the clamping to slide it on the barrel?
Thanks. Installation is very easy. No rubber mallet needed. Took my measurements as close as could be with some helpful tips from Deadshot and the brake slid right on. I cleaned off the screws and screw holes of grit and put on the blue loctite on the barrel as directed and a drop on each screw. Slid it on with the rifle level and put a level on the brake and tightened screws. Worked great and was easy.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Sounds great, thanks for the info!!

·
Premium Member
4,710 Posts
I'm glad it works, but I can't get over how fugly it is lol.

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
Very Nice.
If, when you get your brake it seems a little tight as you slip it on the barrel, thread the middle screw in from the threaded side. Insert a dime, or something flat and strong that will fit the slot. If you have a cheap feeler gauge set often there is a small ruler included in the "fan" of gauges and it is usually thin enough. Run the screw in against the dime or flat metal, Using it as a jacking screw. You can spread the opening in the brake a few thousandths and that is all it takes to make the brake slip in with no mallet needed. Witt machines them to close tolerances so you only need a couple thou to make it easier.

Same procedure if you ever want to remove the brake. Reverse one screw and use it again as a jacking screw to gain a few thousandths of clearance. Don't worry about breaking the brake. It's tough and you'll only spread the end those few thousandths using that small screw.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts