Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
20151018_145122.jpg 20151018_172033.jpg

The rifle cover was not coming out the way I wanted it in my head. Then I just messed around with tying jute on some netting.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you think it looked okay? I could see the stainless in a few areas under the ghillie. I didn't want to keep piling it on. I'm thinking that the rifle needs to be either camo tape wrapped or cerakoted to subdue and lessen the total amount of material to cover and conceal the profile.

·
Registered
155 Posts
That's actually a pretty good wrap. My advice would be to wrap up around your sunshade all the way back to your front scope mount, take it outside and check it in direct sunlight. Stainless can be a pain to subdue, if you decide on cerakote, be mindful of the environment your using the rifle in when choosing patterns and colors,because its permanent.

·
Premium Member
5,234 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Based on the coloring of the environment here in Louisiana, I would go with a light color when it came to cerakote. I think it would be easier to cover a lighter color with darker than the other way around, but I could be wrong. I'm a little unsure about the krylon spray paint. I'm not sure I would want to try it. I would consider spraying certain areas of the scope before I would the rifle. I appreciate the pointers, and have learned more about how a wrap is actually supposed to be made with a little more research. I was doing it wrong from the start. I guess it's a true saying "it's a work in progress".

·
Premium Member
5,234 Posts
... I'm a little unsure about the krylon spray paint. I'm not sure I would want to try it. ...
huh?

WHY?

Sure, Krylon is not really very "go fast" or "tactical", but it is cheap. It is cheap in both $$, and it is cheap in effect: Krylon will allow you to try whatever you want, and if you don't like what you see, salvation is only an acetone swab away.

-Nate

Reactions: mamalukino

·
Registered
434 Posts
Sure, Krylon is not really very "go fast" or "tactical"
I personally know tons of guns that have a "rattle can" paint job and are about as "go fast" as you can get. Why would you spend a bunch of money to make a gun look pretty so you can throw it around and hit in on things in the worst places imaginable? Melonite then rattle can, repeat as needed.

~Ben

·
Registered
72 Posts
I am all about the krylon. I have probably $10,000 worth of guns and equipment under $20 worth of krylon.

The army probably has millions if no billions of dollars worth of equipment that got spray painted right out of the shipping crate.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I guess the one thing that puts me off about Krylon is that it will rub off easier than what cerakote would. A constant state of reapplication. I'm not that knowledgeable about cerakote, but have read a lot on it's merits above other coatings and spray can paint. All I am looking for is a base coat to take away the shiny from the rifle that would require less coverage when using a wrap on the rifle. Krylon has its merits for sure, but the cerakote also would offer a little rust resistance in the areas that it should, I would think. Maybe I'm just looking at it differently than most people. I've located a smith in the area that will do the work I am looking for to the rifle, including cerakote, for just under 500 dollars. Not to mention, his turn around time is pretty good. I will digress on that note though. Being that this is about coloring and ghillie use on a rifle and not building/modifying one.

·
Registered
434 Posts
It's your money and your rifle, I got no dog in the fight.

As far as the ghillie, I like them bigger but you are on the right track from the looks of it.

good luck

~Ben

·
Registered
61 Posts
Good morning friend. All you need to do is break up the silhouette of the firearm.

If you add too much to it that rifle is going to turn out heavy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 15 of 15 Posts