Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recieved my updated issue of the American Rifleman and noticed an article about how the "requirements have changed" again and the bid to replace the M16 generation of weapons will be re-opened.

I wonder if this has more to do with the XM8 than the requirements. Could the .223 round also be up for consideration again?

If anybody has any insight into this process and what is taking place here, please let us know...

Thanks!

·
Registered
97 Posts
This is what I know. The u.s military is really about to flip out over the XM8. They are just about as close as ever to bringing it into active service though the M-16 will not be taken completley out of service.

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Can you specify resources for this information? We would like to know the official stance of the DoD... if this were the case, it would seem very odd that the military reopened the bid for the M16 replacement if they were on the verge of adopting the XM8

MEL

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Jane's

"US Army decides to compete OICW

By JOSHUA KUCERA
JDW Staff Reporter
and SCOTT GOURLEY
JDW Correspondent
Washington, DC, and California

The US Army has issued a request for proposals for the Objective Individual Combat Weapon (OICW) increment 1, which will consist of a family of weapons to replace the M4 carbine, M16 rifle, M249 light machine gun and some M9 pistols in use in the army today.

The programme is mired in controversy, with rivals to HK Defense arguing that the competition is not free and open. Originally the gun was going to be developed together with the XM25 25 mm grenade launcher.

HK Defense has been developing the 5.56 mm XM8 carbine as an additional capability for the army. In budget documents released at the beginning of this year, the army set aside US$32.5 million to buy 10,400 XM8 carbines in Fiscal Year 2006. That procurement is now on hold pending the competition.

Rival companies which did not compete for the original grenade launcher contract have protested, arguing that since the focus of the programme has changed to the gun, it should again face competition.

The army denies that it is favouring HK Defense. The service says it decided to put the programme up for competition because of a recent decision to include a light machine gun (LMG) in addition to the original carbine, special compact and designated marksman variants, service officials said."

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
The Army is payin $3125 each for an XM8. Someone please tell me my calculator is broken. I can think of so much more that money could be used for..........

·
Registered
307 Posts
I've heard the XM8 has had a melting hand guard issue, like the G36 had before it got an aluminum barrel sheath. But, this is from a group whose accuracy hits at about 50% as far as firearms are concerned, so I am hesitant to actually invest in this as a real opinion.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts