Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

Yugoslav M76 in 7.9 (8mm Mauser?)

9K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Ballistic_Coefficiency 
#1 ·
Hello all-

I am a newbie, just been breaking in my .308 700 PSS and having a GREAT time!

As my subject says, I am looking into a Yugoslav M76 in 7.9 (8mm Mauser?) I saw on the net. The thing looks A LOT like a Dragunov, but it IS a Yugoslavian gun.

Thus far, I have only seen info on the net on the Russian Tigr, SVD, the Romanian ROMAK-3, and have heard of a Chinese version. From what I have seen, all of these models come in 7.62x54 or 7.62X39, with the occasional .223 model.

Anybody know anything about a Yugoslav version? Anybody ever seen one in 8mm Mauser? It looks like a cool gun, certainly more interesting to look at than my Rem 700! What might I expect to pay for one of these? Or shall I ask, what would YOU pay for one of these?

Thanks for your help!

Eric

#9 ·
i say that looks ALOT more like a AK than a normal drag--that stupid stock on the barrel bugs me...

dom

#11 ·
The one in the picture honestly reminds me of rifles I have seen built in homes in the Khyber Pass region of Pakistan. They make AK rifles into 8mm Mauser full auto AK's in their houses with rudimentary tools. Granted, that one in the picture looks better than those, but...still kind of odd looking to me.

#12 ·
I think that would be a fun rifle to own. Reliable... simple... and really really cheap ammo!!! 7.92X57mm (8mm Mauser) ammo is insanely inexpensive. 880 rounds for around $45 to $50. But if you are going to get one... get a real Yugo M-76... dont get a lemon like that one that rapid fire makes/sells.

I have seen quite a few of the 8mm Mauser caliber "drags" before. Mainly in Bosnia... Afghanistan and Georgia (the country not the state). They seem to work just fine and are plenty accurate for what they are... about 1.5 to 3 MOA with run of the mill surplus ammo. The ones i have messed around with were old... used and beat up. So a new one that is properly taken care of might be a little more accurate.

BC

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.