Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you plan on shooting long range (1k), what should you 'zero' your scope at? I've always done 100yds, but then again, I have never shot past 300 before.

Btw- Rifle has a 20MOA base.

Obviously I am not doing this, so maybe mel can explain what he thinks. But rather then send him another email, I thought this would be best, that way others who may be thinking the same can get a better idea.

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
<mounting soapbox>

In the tactical world, there is no such thing as a zero. Erase that idea and concept from your mind. There is simply the setting on the scope for which the rifle will be zeroed at. It CONSTANTLY changes. If my scope is set for point of aim, point of impact at 600 meters (some call that a 600m zero) and I then see a target I need to engage at 750 meters, I then turn my dials the necessary amount so that I am now point of aim, point of impact at 750 meters. In the course of one of my typical shooting outings at the UD range, where I shoot maybe 3 engagements, I will adjust my scope (change the zero if you will) probably 4 times (well, ideally 3, as I would have first round hits all three engagements, but gee, I'm not perfect you know).

Now, to somewhat (kind of) answer your question. If you are shooting at a target at 100 yards, then adjust your scope so its hitting at 100 yards (zero if you will). Then when you shoot at 500 yards, adjust the scope to hit at 500 yards (zero if you will).

So, if you do not have a BDC, where do you setup your scope so that the knobs are set at "zero" ??? Where ever you would like! :D Probably where you think you'll be doing your most shooting. For me, I do it at 600meters. I know the hold offs for 100-700 when zeroed at 600. For you, and others, I'm sure it'll be different

So, hows that for a long, and pointless answer :wink:

<stepping off the soapbox>

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
I agree with Mel on this one, even though in urban LE most of our stuff id done at 100yds or less in many cases, we have data on the guns out to 400 or more if we can get on a longer range. We leave the riefles set for 100 in most cases, and know the data back to 25yards and out to 400.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
mel:In the tactical world, there is no such thing as a zero. Erase that idea and concept from your mind. There is simply the setting on the scope for which the rifle will be zeroed at. It CONSTANTLY changes.
Yea, I remember you telling me this once. That is why I said
but maybe it wasn't to clear.

No big deal, and what you said make total sense, I was just wondering i guess what range you are going to sight in my rifle at. Not sure if that is the correct terminology. ?? :? Just curious, I am mounting new scopes on TTH and APK soon, and was just curious as to where most people set their scopes initially.

-Yes snowy, update pics of the rifles will follow........

-Yes Rec.........I like glass....... :p

·
Registered
140 Posts
BC was showing me his log book he got from this web site a while back and i beleive i saw a hold off scale for a 600 yard or meter ( dont remember if it was yards or meters and i cant find the book i think he has it with him ). I would "zero" your adjustment knobs at 600 meters or yards and buy one of sniper centrals log books to go with your rifle and use the hold off's or adjustments to get your 1,000 yard / meter shots onto target.

Im not one for long range shooting, so im not exactly the most qualified person to explain this stuff to you. But from what i do know, holding off with mil dots isnt that hard once you know what your doing. I generally only shoot with low power optics on service rifle's ( ACOG 4X on an M-16A4 ) so i know if i want to hit a guy in the chest i just have to hold on arms length over his neck / face area with iron sights, or just use the built in drop compensating reticle and give it a 3 round burst and wammo.

The Rifleman

G

·
0 Posts
zero

I also agree with Mel on this topic. Depending on the scenario, environmental conditions, and the range you are shooting, the 'ol windage and elevation knobs will get a work out. Use of the mil-dots help out tremendously.

Tom

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It is going to be chambered in Remington 260.

Optics will be a MkIV 8.5-25x50mm w/ Illum. Mil Dots.

Base is a Ken Farrel 20MOA.

Rings are Badger 50s.

·
Registered
140 Posts
You wont be able to "zero" in at that range with that set up will you? A 30 MOA base might cure that?

The Rifleman

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
American Rifleman said:
You wont be able to "zero" in at that range with that set up will you? A 30 MOA base might cure that?
With the scope he is putting on there, he will not have any problems going from 100 to 1000 with the 260. (it does much better than the .308, with the right load, of course)

MEL

·
Registered
140 Posts
What is the drop of your average 260 Rem match ammo at 1,000 yards? My .308 drop likes a rock at that range.

The Rifleman

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
in my experience of having to "zero for one distance, yet shoot multiple distances" i always found the minimum distance, say 100 yds, and the max probable distance, say 600 yds, and set my rifles dope for a little over midpoint... just the way i worked it in Iraq with the M14 DMR, worked good for me there. only thing is you as a shooter must know the bullet height on the trajectory at #given yards with a #yds zero... like the M118 ammo I shot over there is +6 inches at 200 yds with a 300 yds zero. just my 2 cents, worked for me there, usin it here.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts