Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner
21 - 40 of 1,014 Posts
These are my first reloads for the 308 using IMR-4064. These rounds were build with a new Whidden FL bushing sizer die and a RCBS .336 neck bushing.

3 rounds each starting 41.5, 41.75, 42.0 42.3, 42.6, 42.9, 43.2, 43.5. OAL 2.860, these reloads cycled through the 5 round AICS mag, with room to spare.

FGMM brass
Winchester LRP
175 SMK
IMR-4046 powder, right now I think the 42.6g load may be the one to develop

Comments??

Attachments

IMR-4046 powder, right now I think the 42.6 load may be the one to develop

Comments??
What development is left? OK, maybe try a load .2gr on either side but it sure looks like it's the one.

BTW, what were the groups on the bottom two targets from? The one on the left sure has no "Vertical" and horizontal spread may be from "behind the stock" :)

What development is left? OK, maybe try a load .2gr on either side but it sure looks like it's the one.

BTW, what were the groups on the bottom two targets from? The one on the left sure has no "Vertical" and horizontal spread may be from "behind the stock" :)
Oops, I didn't list them, 43.2g, 43.5g. All these shots were done round robin (for lack of a better term). Why they are below the cross in the red dot has me confused because they are a hotter charge. Why they are not higher on the target then the 42.6g load? Perhaps the next step is to take the loads of 42.6 and 43.2 out to 200 or 300 yards to see what happens. I don't have a chrony, and the range that I'm shooting at is limited to 300 yards.

Thanks for the comments

Oops, I didn't list them, 43.2g, 43.5g. All these shots were done round robin (for lack of a better term). Why they are below the cross in the red dot has me confused because they are a hotter charge. Why they are not higher on the target then the 42.6g load? Perhaps the next step is to take the loads of 42.6 and 43.2 out to 200 or 300 yards to see what happens. I don't have a chrony, and the range that I'm shooting at is limited to 300 yards.

Thanks for the comments
This happens all the time with my rifle. As your loads increase from start impact points can raise or lower, depending on what position the muzzle is in when the bullet leaves. Remember, the barrel is doing all kinds of contorting while the shock wave is moving down it.

What intrigued me about one of the lower groups is how it lined up almost in a perfect horizontal line. That usually indicates that the load is dead on as horizontal spread is most often caused by trigger technique, stock position on shoulder, "cheeking" while sending the shot, etc.

Again, wiith my rifle I find that a load that lines up the holes like "birds on a wire" usually does best at distance, that is once I get properly lined up behind the rifle and send the shot without moving it sideways.

This happens all the time with my rifle. As your loads increase from start impact points can raise or lower, depending on what position the muzzle is in when the bullet leaves. Remember, the barrel is doing all kinds of contorting while the shock wave is moving down it.

What intrigued me about one of the lower groups is how it lined up almost in a perfect horizontal line. That usually indicates that the load is dead on as horizontal spread is most often caused by trigger technique, stock position on shoulder, "cheeking" while sending the shot, etc.

Again, wiith my rifle I find that a load that lines up the holes like "birds on a wire" usually does best at distance, that is once I get properly lined up behind the rifle and send the shot without moving it sideways.
Thanks, good stuff. I'm headed out of town this week, but when I get back, I'll load up some more rounds and head back out to the range.
Thanks again...

Rem 700 varmint
26" factory 1 in 12 twist
B&C medalist
Vortex viper 6.5 - 20 x 50 mil dot
EGW 30 MOA rail
Warne QD rings

Avg - 2640 at 600 ASL 75 degrees
Holds in the two's and three's when I do my part.
Best repeated group - 0.250 MOA @ 100 (8 so far)
Shoots good for a factory action and trigger.

Holds sub .5 MOA with 168 SMK over 41.5 Varget at about 2650.
All loads are full prep Lapua brass and 210m primers.

Looking forward to pushing this out to 1k. I will need more juice but then that's the fun

Also. 168 SMK over 43.0 N-140 with L/C match brass
WLR primer 2.850 shoots 7 three round groups the 3's. About 2720.
Pretty consistent for a rookie.

Thanks, good stuff. I'm headed out of town this week, but when I get back, I'll load up some more rounds and head back out to the range.
Thanks again...
I'll be doing a test on some IMR 4064 with 175 SMK's this morning. Haven't shot this powder in my rifle for some time but have always liked how it performed. Hopefully the wind can behave.

I have a Rem 700 SS 26 " bbl factory synthetic stock.

It likes 45.5 grn Varget behind a Sierra 165 bthp gameking
Set .005 off of lands with a Fed 210 M primer.
I will get pics of groups, puts 5 into a tattered hole @ 100 yds.

21 - 40 of 1,014 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.