Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Thanks, Adam - you're quite the artist with words! It is a pillar bedded stock (pillars seem to just be inserted into the same diameter holes) and I have a clear picture of what needs to be done.

I hesitate to ask - TMI can be confusing - but you mentioned that the procedure for bedding pillars differed slightly from the one you so nicely outlined. How does it differ?

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Whoa - if the Super Mod would have a "pro" bed his custom Manners stock, why is a rank Newbie even considering it:?::D

I'm still up to doing the upgrade on the Hogue - after I've bedded the base, mounted the scope and installed the Jewell trigger, broken in the barrel (next week) and done a little pleasure shooting - but I seriously have to reconsider doing anything to the custom stock. I too want the job done right and it takes a pro to get that result, that's what it takes!

Another question - perhaps best in its own thread - adjustable vs fixed comb. My primary competitive shooting for the last 10 - 12 years has been shotgun, specifically Olympic Trap. Gun fit is critical in this discipline since the eye is the "rear sight", so my initial impulse was to get the T4A with adjustable comb. As I thought about it though, and considered the additional 1.5# and cost of this option, I wondered if it's really necessary for a weapon which is being set up for one person with one optic. So the specific questions are:

Is an adjustable comb an advantage on a weapon that will primarily be shot from a bench or prone by one person?

Are there situations in which a comb would be adjusted in the field or is it pretty much set it and forget it?

Is "drop at the comb" important in precision rifle for operator comfort, accuracy or any other reason?

Again, thanks to all for their input!!

·
Registered
5,145 Posts
Adjustable comb is very handy. It is the same principle as the shotgun. You want your cheek to hit the same place on the stock every time. This can be done with a stock pack, but is much easier with an adjustable stock. I have a t4 on my .22 and a t4a on my custom that is being built. The t4 is not bad, but does not fit as well as the adjustable.

Also, if you put the Jewell trigger in the hogue (or any other) stock, be sure that it has the clearance before bolting it down. It is slightly larger than the factory trigger. You might need to do some Dremel work.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Thanks, guys - I much prefer to have an integrated adjustable comb to the add-ons, so the T4A gets the nod.

ddd oo7: Thanks for the heads up on the Jewell/Hogue. I'll be tackling that today.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Now that basic configuration of the stock has been settled, I've run into some questions about the various hardware doodads. My inexperienced assessment follows. I'd appreciate any comments or critique---

Though I probably won't use a sling for transport often, it seems reasonable to have attachment points for one. The flush cups seem more convenient than the conventional studs, and the non-rotating version seem more practical than the rotating version.

I also would like to have the option to use a sling for position shooting, and ideally that should be on the right side (for a R handed shooter) so that it comes under the fore-end hand (which it can't do if attached to the L sided transport cups). So an additional R fore-end flush cup seems necessary.

I'd like to use an Atlas bipod and possibly a rear monopod so rails front and rear seem desirable for these attachments. Are conventional studs desirable in addition to the rails and is there any reason to have rails longer that required to mount the -pods?

Any other options I should consider?

Thanks,

Dave

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I specified the Surgeon DBM, and also went with the 90% carbon fiber option to offset some of the additional weight of the adjustable comb. In view of our earlier discussion about DIY pillar bedding, my current plans are to have the install of the DBM and bedding done by a pro rather than attempt it myself.

·
Registered
5,145 Posts
That will be a great stock. Mine is a T4A, two cups left, surgeon bottom metal, carbon fiber, atlas front rail, and no studs. It is molded in OD green, but Mike at Tac-Ops is going to epoxy and paint it before it comes back. You will like the stock.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Quick question - I plan to bed my 5R barrel and action into the Manners T4A stock. I didn't want to go to the additional expense of cerokoting the metal at this time but it occurred to me that perhaps it would be better to have it done before bedding. Does it make any difference which is done first??

·
Registered
6 Posts
Manners are great people to deal with.

I went with a T-4A with the Manners Mini Chassis with DBM. The other thing to consider is the adjustable length of pull. I found that the stock LOP was too short for me. Manners will retrofit the adjustable LOP for the same price as ordering it on the stock. But you to have to pay two way shipping.

No bedding, no pillars to install.

And the rifle worked well out to 1200 yards. :)

But one thing, if you are going to rebarrel your Sendero, why would you want to get a 5R?

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Manners are great people to deal with.

I went with a T-4A with the Manners Mini Chassis with DBM. The other thing to consider is the adjustable length of pull. I found that the stock LOP was too short for me. Manners will retrofit the adjustable LOP for the same price as ordering it on the stock. But you to have to pay two way shipping.

No bedding, no pillars to install.

And the rifle worked well out to 1200 yards. :)

But one thing, if you are going to rebarrel your Sendero, why would you want to get a 5R?
Something about the Mini-Chassis that doesn't appeal to me - or maybe I'm just a traditionalist (actually, no "maybe"). Plus I've read suggestions that these also should be bedded for optimal accuracy. At any rate I've worked out an arrangement with a smith in KC to get the stock from Manners and do the drilling and bedding so no pressure on me to figure this out.

I believe at the time this thread was active, I was thinking of the future - I have no intention of re-barreling the 5R particularly since it groups well under 0.5 MOA with the "stock" stock in the hands of a Newbie rifle shooter!

I decided not to go with the adjustable length of pull since I have the capability to change recoil pads/spacers myself to make any minor changes in LOP. And since I'm setting the gun up for one shooter, once I get the correct LOP, I'll be good to go.

Can't wait to get the T4A - 18 of the estimated 16-20 weeks have passed and I will be on the phone to Manners tomorrow to get an update.

Thanks for your comments,

Dave

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello gun owners. I'm looking to buy a scope. Can anyone help me out on which one I should buy on this review I came across?<br>
I decided to join this forum so I can ask for advice for those with the know how about guns and its accessories.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm a big fan of the stocks from KONOHAWK. It is a relatively newer company but their products are pretty impressive. They've also put their stocks through different testing. I have a K1T myself and plan on buying the new K2 model soon. If you're looking to get into a stock without months, definitely check them out >> KONOHAWK - KONOHAWK - Home

·
Registered
98 Posts
The 700 option I choose

Purchased the exact same rifle this past February along with the AB Arms Mod X Gen III Chassis system. Takes about 15 minutes to remove original stock and install their chassis (I sold my original stock and trigger on eBay for $140). Zero's to 100 in 5 shoots, and was hitting steel at 600yards this past weekend, off to the Pala range for some 1000 yard steel this weekend. I couldn't be happier with the setup.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just sold my 5r hs precision stock and ordered this pdc custom gen 4. Craig (owner) did amazing by me, just finished it today and will ship monday. I have seen nothing bit good reviews and good words about his customer service and the customer service had been top notch. He also has 30 something color options. Give him a ring and talk to him. Theres the pic of the stock finished he sent me, the 5r as it sat ladt week, and a pic of the best grouping so far out of the hs stock at 100 yards, 178 gr bthp match/lapua brass/40 gr varget and winchester primers. Was playing with some different handloads.

Attachments

21 - 38 of 38 Posts